Talk

Advanced search

to think a tupperware party should be less aggresive?

(10 Posts)
Maryqueenofchocs Sat 13-Nov-10 08:55:45

OK, I do not normally go to these, I duck and dive very well, however DS is at a new school and I was asked to a 'well known chef' branded version, so decided to go.

As I walked in I was given an order form, which I thought was odd. Then we were asked to sit down whilst we listened to the girl present on the products for over an hour.

Included in this presentation was how it brought in much needed money for her, and how the host earnt stuff from it as well...by the time it was over the pressure to buy stuff was overwhelming.

I don't mind the concept of parties, but this was just rude imo.

Goblinchild Sat 13-Nov-10 09:01:35

Did you buy stuff?
Did you leave early?

Rannaldini Sat 13-Nov-10 09:02:00

i was hoping for a tale where they frogmarched you to a cashpoint at knifepoint

that would be aggressive

or if a big lady held you upside down and shook all the change out of your pockets

I think yabu

if you go to a tupperware party it is customary to be sold and buy tupperware

Chil1234 Sat 13-Nov-10 09:02:19

That's pretty normal. 'Party' is the just cover story for 'hard sell'. Keep ducking and diving and/or keep your wallet firmly closed!

TiraMissYou Sat 13-Nov-10 09:07:22

I agree with you, its stretching the idea of a party somewhat. I am chuckling however at the thought of you having to now clear out a cupboard to store your guilt tupperware.

Maryqueenofchocs Sat 13-Nov-10 09:13:32

I have been to these before, I just found the pressure at this one to buy was far too in your face.

Handing me an order form as I entered the room was just rude.

Plus the host did not have a sense of humour so I felt I was being lectured to.

...and yes I crumpled and bought stuff. I suppose part of this thread is me feeling crap about not being strong enough to walk out empty handed.sad

CerealOffender Sat 13-Nov-10 09:20:33

it sounds utterly shite. i am not surprised you bought. next time say 'no i am not coming get a real job if you need the fecking money so much'

Fibilou Sat 13-Nov-10 09:45:16

I have heard the same about a "big branded chef" party plan, that the saleswoman was verging on rude.
I do Body Shop at Home and take a very softly softly approach to selling - if you flog the guests to death, they aren't going to come again or book a party are they ?

Maryqueenofchocs Sat 13-Nov-10 09:52:38

Fibilou you are so right, I have been to one in the past which was MUCH more fun, the wine flowed and we laughed and had a great night.

When I left no one had booked a party....

Fibilou Sat 13-Nov-10 10:02:16

my format runs - play a couple of silly games, winner gets a little prize. Then I do a pamper/facial/makeover on the hostess while the guests play with stuff like body scrubs. i talk a bit about the products & special offers as we go then when I've finished my bits i leave a pile of catalogues & order forms by my display & leave the room for about 10 minutes so they can talk about me !
When all the orders are done i tell the ladies how much free stuff our host got and the incentives for hosting a party. I never, ever push anything, it's pointless. if you have good products and are a good salesperson you don't need to resort to high pressure tactics

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: