Talk

Advanced search

To get really angry when someone blows their dirty smoke in my face?!

(36 Posts)
lollypoplady Thu 11-Nov-10 14:04:22

I hate it when I'm walking along the road with my kids and there is someone smoking blowing their dirty fag smoke without caring who else is going to have to inhale it. If i walked around with a foul smelling carcinogenic aerosol and sprayed it in random peoples faces I think I would probably get pulled up on it, right?

pancakequeen Thu 11-Nov-10 14:07:06

I think it's worse when I'm in a toilet and a horrible air freshener riddled with chemicals sprays into my face above the changing table.
It's nothing worth getting angry over YABU

lollypoplady Thu 11-Nov-10 14:08:40

I've never had that experience! I do hate those air freshners though, they make me feel a bit sick

strawberrycake Thu 11-Nov-10 14:08:57

There's a difference between 'in your face' and smoking nearby.

I'd want to punch someone who walked up to me and blew smoke into my face, I wouldn't be angry on the other hand about someone in this wind smoking nearby.

Bit of a difference between the two situations you're discribing.

(no, I don't like smoking either, but it doesn't provoke anger in me either)

ShatnersBassoon Thu 11-Nov-10 14:09:50

Cross the road if it's unbearable, remembering not to breathe until you are a safe distance from exhaust fumes.

It isn't nice, but it's easy enough to avoid cigarette smoke.

lollypoplady Thu 11-Nov-10 14:10:56

My parents where chain smokers and me and my brother had bad asthma because of it, so I guess thats why I hate it so much

CocoPopsAddict Thu 11-Nov-10 14:11:10

If you're walking along the road, then inhaling car fumes is not going to do you any good either. Do you intend to accost every person who drives past you?

I agree that getting a blast of cigarette smoke is unpleasant, but the odd occasion isn't going to kill you.

YABU - save your anger for worthwhile issues.

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Thu 11-Nov-10 14:12:47

YANBU - I have also had fag ash tossed out the car window landing on DS buggy rain cover

lollypoplady Thu 11-Nov-10 14:12:47

Oh I do avoid it, I mean when you walk past someone and they exhale in your face

pancakequeen Thu 11-Nov-10 14:17:00

but i do agree lpl I hate it when people have no regard for others whatever they are doing

Bloodymary Thu 11-Nov-10 14:22:43

What I find worse is when you walk past a group of smokers, (presumably taking a 'fag' break outside the office or whatever), they all seem to wave their cigarette hand around wildly, totally oblivious to anyone in the way.
On more than one occasion I have had to shield my little 5 year olds face with my hand as she was very close to being burnt by their BLOODY, FUCKING FAG. angry

ccpccp Thu 11-Nov-10 15:47:36

YANBU

Smoking is a filthy habit and many smokers are utterly selfish when smoking.

Not all, but many.

I tolerate the smell of air freshners because I dont like the smell of toilets. I dont mind breathing car fumes because I realise cars are a necessary evil in our society.

Smoking however is a purely selfish passtime. Do it if you want, but away from me and mine.

SirBoobAlot Thu 11-Nov-10 15:49:11

I hate it too. Especially when it goes on DS and my buggy.

yama Thu 11-Nov-10 15:52:52

I read an article once (years ago so please dont ask me to link) where the writer argued that if you own and drive a car you have no right to criticise smokers. They can never in their lifetime pollute the earth as much as a car does.

I don't like it - I had to walk behind a smoker today but I can easily tolerate it.

scaryjane Thu 11-Nov-10 15:57:12

YANBU - I hate too, and walking into shops and hospitals through a huddle of smokers staff.

I also hate the chemical airfresheners in a confined space / over my baby pancakequeen.

I used to regularly wait at a bustop with a smoker. One day I sat on the bench and she stood next to me with her fag in my face - so I coughed and spluttered, with my mouth uncovered, all over it grin

Funny how she kept her fag away from face in future

coraltoes Thu 11-Nov-10 16:02:34

it has become harder to avoid cigarette smoke since the ban! I find the outside of offices, cafes, bars always very difficult to pass without being blasted by people smoking. Not their fault...just a by product of the smoking ban.

Still...the ban was bloody brilliant!

extremepie Thu 11-Nov-10 23:45:14

As a non-smoker I can't help but feel smug when I am out on a night out in the winter and all the girls in their skimpy dressy have to go out in the snow every 10 minutes to have a fag, and I get to sit inside with my drink, in the warm, laughing at them all grin! That said I do HATE smoking SO much and have also been in that, 'I've been burnt by people's fag ends waving all over the place' situation. What really pisses me off is my DH, my sister, and all of my DH's friends smoke and when they all get together and have a fag inside (which I have repeatedly asked them not to do but they complain it's too cold/windy/rainy to go outside), I have to go and stand my the door/window just to get some air! One on their own I can just about tolerate but more than one the level of smokiness in the room just becomes unbearable and I can't breathe angry. It's just so bloody inconsiderate considering IT'S MY HOUSE but no-one listens to me when I ask them not to, I just end up feeling like the fun police Sorry, rant over but I really wish someone would make it illegal so I don't have to put up with it anymore!

OTTMummA Thu 11-Nov-10 23:54:31

get a water gun extremepie and channel your MN name grin

SparkleSoiree Fri 12-Nov-10 00:07:13

YANBU. It is a filthy disgusting habit and if them exhaling close to you happens to coincide with you breathing it, it is utterly disgusting thinking it has been inside another human being.

DISGUSTING.

Opinionatedfreak Fri 12-Nov-10 00:08:48

Is there really such a thing as clean smoke?

SparkleSoiree Fri 12-Nov-10 00:09:42

No so it makes it even worse when it is used twice!

musicmadness Fri 12-Nov-10 00:49:32

YABU unless they actually are breathing it into your face. If they are just exhaling as you walk by then put up with it and stop being so picky. I'm sure it isn't very nice but I don't think that has ever happened to me where I have been very close to someone so it can't happen that often!

extremepie If they are in your house put the cigs out every time they light up and make them go outside! I can't believe anyone would smoke in someone elses house if they knew the person who lived there didn't like it. Thats totally different from smoking in their own homes.

Nellykats Fri 12-Nov-10 01:01:41

Smoking indoors whilst there's an upset non smoker is unforgivable.
Smoking outdoors next to a disgruntled non smoker is selfish and avoidable.
But, smoking on the street while the OP is walking nearby? That is surely not a massive problem so YABU and a bit of a princess.

Monty27 Fri 12-Nov-10 01:08:37

Smoking is an addiction they say akin to heroin addiction.

As Nelly says you are being a bit of knob princess.

You know how to keep your dc's away from smoke so just do it.

biscuit

electrokin Fri 12-Nov-10 01:09:48

YANBU As an ex-smoker I struggle every time I walk behind smokers. These days I just cross the street. I cannot excuse my behaviour when I smoked, it was a very selfish act.

I do have a very simple rule with people wanting to come near DS who are smoking, which is they don't get to come within 10 foot of him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: