Talk

Advanced search

to think Take That should have told Robbie to sod off!

(94 Posts)
MooMooFarm Wed 10-Nov-10 09:56:04

First of all, I used to love Robbie. I was never hugely into Take That first time round. But then when Robbie left and got good I loved him & went to see him in concert every chance I could - was a huge fan basically. Then when his music (IMO) started to get a bit duff four or five years ago and I got sick of hearing about his (reported) costant moaning and 'me me me-ness', I lost interest in him completely. I have really got into Take That since their comeback and think their new stuff is fantastic.

So I don't understand why they would give Robbie the time of day now? He used to be so rude about them all & how they've all amounted to nothing and he's so fantastic, etc. I'm sure that if Robbie was still as popular as he was ten years ago, and they hadn't had the big comeback they have, he wouldn't want to know them anyway. So why, when they're now doing really well without him, do they take him back?

BTW, the Take That stuff I've heard that they've done with Robbie so far, doesn't sound anything like as good as their pre-Robbie stuff, IMO!

Just realised how much I've waffled - so - AIBU?

cupcakesandbunting Wed 10-Nov-10 09:58:07

Because Gary is the bigger man.

Portofino Wed 10-Nov-10 10:01:03

I like the new single.

I think it's all about money at the end of the day.

FranSanDisco Wed 10-Nov-10 10:08:48

I never liked Robbie and his self pitying. It's about the money I agree - getting the most out of their comeback. They're flogging a commodity, with a sell by date, and Robbie's part of it. I bet there's a lot of tongue biting going on for the 'greater good' smile.

watercress Wed 10-Nov-10 10:09:18

I agree MMF and am annoyed that the rest of the band are now letting Robbie take all the glory eg. lead vocals etc. And that doesn't even compare to my annoyance about Robbie doing a cover of Shine on Radio 1. It's Mark's song, leave it alone Robbie! And no, it probably wasn't about you, you egomaniac.

I think I need a life.

But no, YANBU.

DandyDan Wed 10-Nov-10 10:10:04

I never liked Robbie in first-time Take That. When he left, I didn't mind his first few albums but I never liked his personality, and since the music became abysmal after five years or so, I was free to really dislike his music and how he behaved/thought of himself. He's a self-promoting narcissist, IMO, and this can only be detrimental to the group now that he's back in.

I loved the new Take That to bits, probably better than the early stuff. Now I feel that has been ruined. The first joint single between Robbie and Gary was a "Robbie-type" song, with chord sequences and tunes that were not "new Take That". This next one, The Flood, has a Robbie-styled verse and a new-Take-That chorus, but I hate the video, with Robbie singing the verses, and am really reluctant to get the CD when it comes out. Whereas I would have loved to see Take That in concert, I would never go and see them with Robbie in the line-up. I understand that in the concerts next year, it will be a chunk of Robbie on his own, a chunk of them together, and a chunk of the Take That Four on their own.

I am hoping that after this tour and album, they go back to their separate ways and different styles of music-making and appealing to the public. And I can get back to enjoying just the four lads and recovering from Gary Barlow supporting the Tory election campaign.

MooMooFarm Wed 10-Nov-10 10:10:57

Watercress, I didn't hear the cover of Shine, that's made me really stupidly angry! Just feck off Robbie, why did I ever want to shag your face off?

lucky1979 Wed 10-Nov-10 10:54:08

I have a theory that it's a big PR spin, because Mark Owen went from being "awwww, cheeky non-threatening chappie who everyone loves" to "sleezy creep who cheats on his wife in a sordid fashion and you wouldn't touch with a bargepole".

Funnily enough, pretty rapidly after that story broke it's announced that Robbie is rejoining Take That and suddenly THAT is the news and all sleaze is forgotten as the newspapers move on. With a Robbie and Gary single to keep the limelight off Mark while he tries to make up with his wife.

I may just be a cynic though.

WannabeNigella Wed 10-Nov-10 11:12:45

Yeah both Robbie and TT REALLY need the money hmm

Why shouldn't they all get together without the pressure they were under years ago and just enjoy it and have a laugh?

Anyone who seriously thinks Robbie "needed" a TT reunion for the money is mental. I honestly think it's a big healing thing for them all.

MooMooFarm Wed 10-Nov-10 11:40:42

Wannabe, I know Robbie wouldn't need the money, but his ego probably needs the attention. 'Healing' my arse grin

emptyshell Wed 10-Nov-10 12:27:21

I'm sick of Robbie hogging all the limelight since they got back together too. Hope it's not the death of the band cos I loved their comeback-onwards stuff.

I don't think Robbie's even a decent singer to be honest. And yes, his career solo wasn't exactly going well towards the end of it and the time they started (funnily enough) considering the reunion.

Milngavie Wed 10-Nov-10 12:36:57

The two TT singles I have heard since Robbie was taken back sound like 'The Robbie Williams and some random blokes band'.

Pinkjenny Wed 10-Nov-10 13:37:09

Milngavie - I agree. I like The Flood, but I heard an album track on the radio this morning and you wouldn't even have known the other four were on it!

sapphireblue Wed 10-Nov-10 14:36:25

I agree that it's probably a big PR spin. They needed a story that was bigger than Mark being an alcoholic and cheating on his wife. He was always seen as the sweet and innocent one I think.......major damage to his image now IMO, and they wanted to take the heat off.

For all we know it's been on the cards all along.......for every tour there's been a big hype around will/won't Robbie appear on stage etc etc. Great publicity for the 5 of them.

sapphireblue Wed 10-Nov-10 14:42:36

Oh, and I really wouldn't have thought they've done it for the money (especially not Gary and Robbie).

VinegarTits Wed 10-Nov-10 14:45:24

i think GB is very clever in bringing RW back, its not jsut RW who will gain from this

theagedparent Wed 10-Nov-10 14:45:46

Yanbu. Take That were so much better when he fucked off.

juneybean Wed 10-Nov-10 14:46:29

YANBU!

cupcakesandbunting Wed 10-Nov-10 14:47:37

Jason Orange is not gay.

Hulababy Wed 10-Nov-10 14:47:58

I like Robbie
I like Take That

Have seen both in concert a couple of times or so each, and I am looking forward to the latest concert too.

I think them being together is probably likely to benefit all of them. Let's face it - they sold over a million concert tickets at £60+ each within a day. I think they may all be winners here, lol. I don;t think any of them actually need the money. They like the fame.

I suspect they may well be one album and one tour, and then call it quits.

nameymcnamechange Wed 10-Nov-10 14:48:11

Money is terribly corrupting. Even for the super rich.

God, greed is the ugliest of the 7 deadly sins, don't you think?

bigchris Wed 10-Nov-10 14:48:29

Agree I was so surprised! I thought they were making loads of money without him

VinegarTits Wed 10-Nov-10 14:49:44

how do you know cupcake? have you shagged him grin

nameymcnamechange Wed 10-Nov-10 14:49:58

If they don't need the money then why aren't they giving the whole lot away to charity? Or selling the tickets for £20 instead of £60?

chinchi Wed 10-Nov-10 14:50:14

YANBU. At all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now