Talk

Advanced search

Crossing the road

(51 Posts)
newwave Mon 08-Nov-10 20:24:40

7-30 Sunday morning driving along a residential street approaching a T junction say a couple both femail about 16 and 40 waiting to cross the road (not a pedestrian crossing) I pulled up short of the junction and flashed my lights to signal them to cross.

They crossed without a look in my direction, not a nod or a raised hand, this pissed me off and when I went passed them I opened my window and called the them "a pair of fucking ignorant bitches" I know the language was OTT but I think i was right to get the hump.

thisisyesterday Mon 08-Nov-10 20:26:13

erm.... yes, you were pretty much unreasonable

PaisleyLeaf Mon 08-Nov-10 20:27:22

What's wrong with just saying a sarcastic "you're welcome"?

saffy85 Mon 08-Nov-10 20:27:38

Just a leetle bit unreasonable yes.

Is this a reverse AIBU btw? wink

Skyrg Mon 08-Nov-10 20:28:24

Uh... Are you even asking a question here? YABVU. You treated them far worse than they treated you.

ramblingmum Mon 08-Nov-10 20:28:27

YABU either let them across and except their response (or lack of it) or don't stop in the first place

Joolyjoolyjoo Mon 08-Nov-10 20:29:09

Sorry- if I remember my highway code rightly, I'm pretty sure that you should give way to pedestrians anyway when approaching a junction. I know this because I failed my driving test for slowing, then carrying on when old lady decided to stay on the pavement- apparently I should have waited for her to cross!!

So technically they had no need to thank you as they had the right of way (although a wave/smile would have been nice)

Meglet Mon 08-Nov-10 20:31:20

YABU for flashing at them. Its against the highway code.

I ignore anyone who flashes at me. I will decide when I cross and that is when I can see what is coming, not when a driver thinks it's safe.

jybay Mon 08-Nov-10 20:34:49

Either this is a joke or you are vile.

newwave Mon 08-Nov-10 20:38:03

Fair enough, I see these two about quite a lot, just waiting for them to be beside a puddle when I am driving past

PaisleyLeaf Mon 08-Nov-10 20:43:19

You've already been abusive to them - why also start a hate campaign against them?

animula Mon 08-Nov-10 20:46:52

newwave - you sound as though you drive like someone who has been unlucky in love many, many, many times. Have you thought about counselling?

newwave Mon 08-Nov-10 20:53:14

jybay, no, not a joke, it wasnt you was it.

Paisley, think about it, what bloody chance of the circumstances I described coming about, do get a grip.

I am a very considerate driver, anyone who lets me out of a side road or gives way to me will always get a raised hand as a thank you. I invariably stop at crossings and also will pull up in a slow moving queue of traffic to let a Mother with kids/buggy cross over, I detest ill manners and will ALWAYS react in that way.

newwave Mon 08-Nov-10 20:55:00

animula, please please help me out here and explain your seemingly incoherent statement and the juxtaposition between my driving and "love"

jybay Mon 08-Nov-10 20:57:06

I detest ill manners and will ALWAYS react in that way.

Ah yes, there is no better defence of good manners to swear at passers-by.

You are so narcissistic that you believe that you have the right to abuse someone just because she doesn't thank you for following the Highway Code.

You have to be a joke - surely no one could be this self-important?

newwave Mon 08-Nov-10 21:02:57

jybay, so it was you. No doubt from your replies you wouldnt acnowledge someone either how sad.

Narcisstic, hmm possibly but self important no.

cumfy Mon 08-Nov-10 21:03:39

Was the junction otherwise clear/no cars waiting ?

jybay Mon 08-Nov-10 21:05:43

I know we're not supposed to troll-hunt but...

Joolyjoolyjoo Mon 08-Nov-10 21:05:57

I do understand where you are coming from regarding the lack of acknowledgement- I often let other drivers out/ let pedestrians cross and am ignored for my efforts. It warrants a bit of chuntering under my breath, but I would never open the window and directly lambast someone! It does seem a little bit of an overreaction, tbh!

JaneS Mon 08-Nov-10 21:06:26

Does it not occur to you that, since you don't (I assume) have a big sign on your car saying 'I'm only ever polite in order to get THANKS', they might not have realized it's such a big deal to you?

cumfy Mon 08-Nov-10 21:07:45

What proportion of YANBUs were you anticipating ?

Firawla Mon 08-Nov-10 21:10:29

omg yabvu!!! shouting and calling them bitches is such an over reaction, they probably thought you are a right weirdo, understandably so... come across very unhinged to behave this way. i dont really think they have done anything wrong in the first place, they didnt force or ask u to stop its your own choice, why do you need a wave or nod for? a bit needy isnt it to be that bothered!

newwave Mon 08-Nov-10 21:11:11

Cumfy, one car behind me no other traffic.

jybay, troll, dont be dumb, I wasnt posting for effect or to wind anyone up.

LDR no i dont and yes it is in the same way if I hold a door open for someone.

Maybe I just expect others to have manners, probably silly of me.

scurryfunge Mon 08-Nov-10 21:12:45

It annoys me intensely when people don't acknowledge a polite act but I wouldn't swear at them directly if they didn't thank me.

jybay Mon 08-Nov-10 21:14:34

I literally cannot think of any circumstance in which I would call someone a "fucking ignorant bitch".

But I guess that's just because I don't understand good manners.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: