Talk

Advanced search

To think this is a racist comment?

(84 Posts)
chicaguapa Mon 08-Nov-10 20:00:39

My sister sent a text to my dad after X Factor yesterday saying 'bye bye shouty black woman'. I told my dad that I thought it was a horrible thing to say, but he said I was over-reacting. It wouldn't be totally out of character for her. AIBU?

Katey1010 Mon 08-Nov-10 20:01:39

YANBU. What does her colour have to do with anything?

thisisyesterday Mon 08-Nov-10 20:01:43

well.... was the woman shouty? was she black?

earwicga Mon 08-Nov-10 20:02:50

TreyC didn't shout though. So the comment makes no sense unless it is relying on a racist stereotype. Together with you saying 'totally out of character for her' which I assume racist - YANBU

chicaguapa Mon 08-Nov-10 20:03:46

I don't know if she was shouty, I don't watch X Factor, though she is black. I just thought it was a bit derogatory and it annoyed me that she can be so ignorant.

JingleTits Mon 08-Nov-10 20:03:53

Tbh OP i dont know how you get through life if you question every thing!!! How about when the police describe a suspect as white, in his late 50's etc etc, racist?? agist?? ffs grow up

JingleTits Mon 08-Nov-10 20:04:32

*ageist

mamalovesmojitos Mon 08-Nov-10 20:06:01

i don't think it is a racist comment. btw she is shouty.

Firawla Mon 08-Nov-10 20:06:07

yanbu
seems a strange comment, treyc is not particularly shouty either. to me it does come across racist all she can do is categorise her as "black women" rather than her name or anything,just seems weird and yes i would say not v nice
i would be hmm if my sister said a comment like this (altho i dnt think that she would) so understand your feeling and yanbu

chicaguapa Mon 08-Nov-10 20:06:21

That's a bit unreasonable Jingle! My sister once said that she didn't want a black midwife, so she does have previous! So perhaps she needs to grow up and not me??

whoknowswhatthefutureholds Mon 08-Nov-10 20:08:24

I don't really think it is racist to explain who someone is by mentioning their race.

she could have more simply described her as the badly dressed shouty woman.

whoknowswhatthefutureholds Mon 08-Nov-10 20:08:51

now that is fucking racist.

LadyViper Mon 08-Nov-10 20:09:02

(I don't watch xfactor)

I don't think its racist, being black is a distinguishing feature. It would have been more offensive to say something personal like she had a big nose or was fat.

If everyone in the competition was black and she was white the text would have been about a "shouty white" woman, you wouldn't be complaining then!

MardyBra Mon 08-Nov-10 20:11:13

What about Louis telling a black singer (sorry can't remember his name) that he was like a "young Lenny Henry"? WTF was that about? Lenny Henry doesn't sing and this bloke didn't really look like him, apart from the colour of his skin.

JingleTits Mon 08-Nov-10 20:11:56

now that is extremely offencive and very racist!! But this wasnt your title, what she said in her title just sounded like she was being descriptive. Although now youve said that she probably did mean it as a racist comment.

begonyabampot Mon 08-Nov-10 20:12:34

'my DS used to refer to a boy at preschool' as the one with the brown face' - oh dear! Different perhaps if your sister has a history of racist comments.

MardyBra Mon 08-Nov-10 20:14:34

begony - your DS was just being descriptive.

MadameCastafiore Mon 08-Nov-10 20:15:10

I think it is more your issue than hers - you automatically balk when someone says the word black for goodness sake.

chicaguapa Mon 08-Nov-10 20:17:16

I was just trying to look at the comment on its own to see if it was still a bit hmm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for using black as an adjective if it's descriptive etc and I get annoyed with overanalysis etc. But knowing her as I do, I reckon it has that tinge of racism that people don't realise they have/ or show until they make those kinds of comments.

If she was shouty, I think the comment could just have easily been 'bye bye shouty woman' and still think she meant the 'black woman' bit in a derogatory way. But my dad disagreed.

MardyBra Mon 08-Nov-10 20:17:25

Begging your pardon to have strayed everso everso slightly from the subject matter jingletits. (Like the name).

strandeadatsea Mon 08-Nov-10 20:19:50

Why is calling someone black racist? I don't have a clue who trayc is as I am overseas but describing someone by their colour certainly isn't racist.

Why does everyone skirt around skin colour so much? It's a descriptive term. What if she had said "bye bye shouty blond woman" - would that be blondist?

chicaguapa Mon 08-Nov-10 20:20:38

DS used to refer to a boy at school as 'black name' as there were two boys of the same name. I have no problem with that, so don't misunderstand where I'm coming from here.

My sister does wind me up with her non-PC comments. She refers to her friend's DD as weird when she is suspected ASD, yet my DD is ASD! Most of the time I just bite my tongue, but I guess today it has just irritated me more than usual!

heymango Mon 08-Nov-10 20:25:21

Mardybra DS1 and DS2 still describe people as having brown faces - I am never sure whether to correct them and what to offer as the alternative?

OP I don't think your sister was being racist about Treyc - the midwife, yes.

ForMashGetSmash Mon 08-Nov-10 20:26:53

Chicagapa...the trouble with that is that the two finalists in the x factor did not share a name...so there could be no confusion.

I think your sister was tring in a crap way to be funny...kin.d of like writing "by bye stupid blonde woman" if Katie had gone (other x factor finalist last night

QueenGigantaurofMnet Mon 08-Nov-10 20:27:27

i don't watch X factor.

i did however see some of this weeks one as we were at a family members house for fireworks.

I don't know their names so yes i too would have referred to her as "shouty black woman" had i been inclined to comment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now