Talk

Advanced search

to have deleted a FB friend for this status update?

(49 Posts)
Diziet Mon 08-Nov-10 16:39:32

I had to double-check it, I doubted the evidence of my own eyes.
She'd been sent a joke, which she'd put as her status, and it went as follows:
"No wonder they call it a funny bone, I just elbowed a Paki in the head" she then added to this that SHE'D thought it was funny!
So racially motivated violence is amusing, huh?
angry
I deleted her.
She wasn't really a 'current' friend: someone I used to go to school with.
Have I been rather quick with the 'delete' button or would any of you have done the same?

2shoes Mon 08-Nov-10 16:40:22

yanbu
but you know that

DrMcDreamy Mon 08-Nov-10 16:40:22

I'd have messaged her saying she was a cunt first. And then deleted her.

Errmmmm Mon 08-Nov-10 16:40:34

I'd have deleted them without a second thought.

Trubert Mon 08-Nov-10 16:40:47

You need to tell her why you've deleted her or she'll never learn that this is unacceptable.

But YANBU.

sheeplikessleep Mon 08-Nov-10 16:41:06

YANBU.
I deleted someone once, an acquaintance who claimed "I'm going to rape my husband when he gets back"

LoopyLoops Mon 08-Nov-10 16:41:08

I would have commented first, then deleted her once I'd highlighted to her friends what a twat she is.

Diziet Mon 08-Nov-10 16:42:06

I'm still flabbergasted, TBH!!

Limez Mon 08-Nov-10 16:42:35

Delete, absolutely.

Facebook is such wank - gives twats the perfect opportunity to air their ignorance... and there's never any shortage of other twats to lol hun hmm

Diziet Mon 08-Nov-10 16:43:07

You're right, I should've commented. <<slaps head>> D'oh!

Diziet Mon 08-Nov-10 16:44:38

That was the other thing... most of the comments were laughing along, although one of her friends gently chided her.
Perhaps I should have reminded her what century we're in...

Tidey Mon 08-Nov-10 16:44:57

How revolting. Agree with others though - you should have posted something on her wall telling her why you no longer wanted to read anything she had to say.

earwicga Mon 08-Nov-10 16:45:09

YANBU.

Let's hope somebody else does comment Diziet. I probably would have deleted first in disgust too!

sims2fan Mon 08-Nov-10 16:46:24

I don't blame you. People should know these days that racism is not acceptable. I don't understand why people put racist comments on Facebook, because surely they know that even if they privately find them funny, a lot of people won't?? I don't know, I think most of them are just too ignorant to think it through. I hve to admit that I have a 'friend' on Facebook who is out and out racist. I went to school with him, and we were never actual friends, but he added me a year or so ago and I accepted. He writes some awful stuff on his page. I don't really know why I haven't deleted him other than that it's so bad I feel I have to keep him on in case he ever mentions anything that I might need to tell the police about! What's worse is that he has 2 sons who I expect are growing up listening to his awful prejudices. He also has other, vile, presumably real life, friends who comment on what he says with things like 'good one mate' and 'you should be Prime Minister.'

NotAnotherBrick Mon 08-Nov-10 16:46:44

YANBU and think I would have told her why as well.

BarbaraSeville Mon 08-Nov-10 16:49:08

This is a bit like asking AIBU to refrain from poking babies in the eye with sharp sticks, isn't it?

loonies Mon 08-Nov-10 16:51:16

YANBU

MackerelOfFact Mon 08-Nov-10 16:51:43

I probably would have commented "The 1970s called. They want their racist joke back." And then deleted her.

But I am immature.

cupcakesandbunting Mon 08-Nov-10 16:53:03

I would have told her that she was a braindead moron first.

Bugrit Mon 08-Nov-10 17:06:16

Yanbu. But, if you leave a comment and then delete the friend, won't your comment disappear from their status update also?

earwicga Mon 08-Nov-10 17:24:16

It will Bugrit. It's only if you block somebody that they wouldn't see your comment. I tend to do that too with fuckwits.

Diziet Mon 08-Nov-10 17:27:10

grin at MackerelOfFact!
Good point, Bugrit.
X post, BarbaraSeville - IKWYM, but in my defence, I was in a state of shock and wasn't really thinking straight!
Call me naive (sp?) but I always seem to think that people don't think things like that anymore, even though I am often disappointed. sad

BigHairyGruffalo Mon 08-Nov-10 17:28:38

YANBU!

MaDuggar Mon 08-Nov-10 17:31:57

I deleted a woman from my FB this week after she told me to "shove a firework up my arse and see if i still liked fireworks" - all because Id posted that id enjoyed the fireworks display (her status had said she hated bloody fireworks as they make her dogs bark).

Diziet Mon 08-Nov-10 17:32:47

OK, just had an idea for a status update of my own:
'Do you think jokes about racially motivated violence are amusing? If you do, then I'd delete me off your friends list if I were you as it'll save me the job of deleting YOU.'
I DO have a sense of humour, it generally involves me laughing at something that's actually funny.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: