Talk

Advanced search

To expect DH to wash up by hand?

(17 Posts)
LindyHemming Mon 08-Nov-10 12:56:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

woopsidaisy Mon 08-Nov-10 12:59:09

Dishwasher is great though! I think it is cheaper to run it at night though. I put mine on at 10.30pm.But it is always full. If it is not full,why not just leave it for a day until it is full?

LindyHemming Mon 08-Nov-10 13:01:33

dementedma Mon 08-Nov-10 13:02:06

Can't help - don't have one. Everythingis washed by hand in this house, usually mine!

woopsidaisy Mon 08-Nov-10 13:10:46

But WHY Euphemia? In gods name WHY? confused

nannynobnobs Mon 08-Nov-10 13:11:06

Reminds me of an ex boyfriend who washed ONE SHIRT on a full wash because he needed it. I could have strangled him. The full laundry basket was right there... However he was a proper headcase. I'm sure somebody will be along with some advice!

BeautifulBlondePineapple Mon 08-Nov-10 13:22:19

My DH is the other way around - he'll wash up everything by hand to avoid putting the dishwasher on and complains that I use it too often and should wash up by hand more to save money.

I hate the sight of dirty dishes piled up by the sink...and even clean ones at the other side, so I'd rather have them all tucked up tight in the dishwasher and a nice tidy kitchen. And I always alway wait until the dishwasher is full before I put it on (usually every 2nd day).

He's so tight sometimes it drives me mental! Would love to know how much it costs too so I can tell him just how skinflint he's being.

AMumInScotland Mon 08-Nov-10 13:23:38

I don't know what it costs per cycle. But it's definitely going to cost 4 times as much to run it 4 times, quarter full each time, as it will to run it once full!

No need to make him wash anything by hand - you just put stuff in and close the door.... hmm

nocake Mon 08-Nov-10 13:27:30

Dishwashers don't cost as much to run as everyone thinks. A wash will cost around 15p in electricity (depending on the rating). A modern one will also use less water than washing by hand. You can improve the costs even more by using the right programme. Most will have a quick wash that will do plates and glasses and a water saving programme.

But... running it when it's not full does seem to be a bit of a waste.

It's only cheaper to run it at night if you have a different tariff at night, which isn't very common these days.

BeautifulBlondePineapple Mon 08-Nov-10 13:29:31

Here is some data about dishwasher costs:

http://www.sust-it.net/energy_saving.php?id=19

I'm not sure you're going to persuade him to hand wash dishes to save 15p!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Nov-10 13:32:05

YABU

you just need to persuade him not to run it until its reasonably full.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Mon 08-Nov-10 13:32:17

I don't understand. It's so much faff to unload and reload, why would you run it before you had to? Also, we run ours at least once a day, fully stocked - how often is this being run that it's a quarter full? hourly?

TrillianAstra Mon 08-Nov-10 13:33:24

Do you not have enough plates? Or a phobia of plates sitting around dirty? After 1 meal just stick it in the dishwasher and wait - put it on after the next meal, or the next, when it is FULL.

nocake Mon 08-Nov-10 13:36:38

I agree, although the cost is pretty minimal I can't see why you wouldn't just put the plates in and leave them until the dishwasher is full.

everythingiseverything Mon 08-Nov-10 13:49:31

Blatherskite Mon 08-Nov-10 13:56:40

Dishwashers use much less water than washing by hand and wash hotter so clean more effectively too. I never hand wash unless I have to but I do always run the dishwasher when full.

LindyHemming Mon 08-Nov-10 14:02:48

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now