Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up we are still getting post for them.

(45 Posts)
Rosedee Mon 08-Nov-10 12:27:46

We moved in a year and a half ago. Still get the odd letter which I chuck if junk mail or return to sender if business as no longer have their forwarding address. We had to write to them asking them to change there address as still getting 2-3 letters every few days for them a year after we move in.
Anyway get a parcel this morning. Have opened as no return address and no way of forwarding on and hoping there'd be some contact details. It's a babygro and a card. Am actually quite annoyed on behalf of the people who kindly sent this that a year and a half after moving these people haven't bothered to let them know new address. I have no way of getting this to them. What do I do now? Am feelingbad as have opened but didn't know what todo. Grr.

bintofbohemia Mon 08-Nov-10 12:30:14

YABU. We moved a year ago and there's always the odd thing that slips through the net, despite us having put on a mail redirect. We were still getting stuff for a previous owner 7 years later at our last place. Not such a huge hardship to bung it back in the box is it?

Rosedee Mon 08-Nov-10 12:31:46

But where's it gonna go? There no return address?

bintofbohemia Mon 08-Nov-10 12:34:26

Hmm. I dunno, I suppose you could just take it to the charity shop or something?

If they just never changed any addresses because they are slack then YANBU. And they are daft.

AMumInScotland Mon 08-Nov-10 12:38:44

If you put something like "no longer at this address" then the post office will deal with it. If there isn't any return address on it (or inside it), they'll hold it for 3 months to see if anyone claims it. Not sure what they do with it after that - I'd hope they don't just end up in landfill, but who knows?

Balsam Mon 08-Nov-10 12:44:50

YANBU - having to deal with other people's disorganisation is irritating.

But I would probably hang on to it a bit in case they turn up. The gift sender will probably ask them if they got it when they don't hear anything and then they'll work it out.

newpup Mon 08-Nov-10 12:45:03

We moved into our house 4 years ago and we still get letters, bills, statements for the previous owners!!

I now phone the banks, building societies, loan companies and state in no uncertain terms that the provious occupier does not live here and is nothing to do with me and I want my address moved from their system. Sometimes this is easy other times they argue and say they need confirmation from the previous occupier!

I send it all back marked NOT AT THIS ADDRESS or UNKNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS!

Drives me mad that they still use this address for live accounts and credit cards!

fedupofnamechanging Mon 08-Nov-10 12:50:03

YANBU. It pisses me off too, especially when I get things from banks/finance companies. I have enough admin of my own to ignore while I MN deal with, without having other peoples too

TigersChick Mon 08-Nov-10 12:53:42

We've lived here for nearly 6 years and still get the odd bit of post for the previous occupants ... and the ones before them who left nearly 10 years ago!

What really irritates me tho are the phone calls when they ask "Is that Mrs X?" so I say "No, she doesn't live here anymore." "Oh," they reply "Who are you then?" It's as if they have a right to know!! Grrr.

Ishtar2410 Mon 08-Nov-10 12:55:45

We moved here 2.5 years ago and we're still getting mail for the previous owners. It's quite worrying because it's Barclaycard statements - we've opened them and contacted Barclaycard and have been promised numerous times that they will stop sending them. We now return to sender. Just waiting for the bailiffs to arrive so that we can direct them to the estate agents.

Until about a year ago we used to get all their DVLA-related post - which we sent back. Was amusing, though, when the previous owner's son came round to collect his car tax reminder. He started whining that we hadn't kept it for him!! Erm, no, you don't live here any more...

bumpybecky Mon 08-Nov-10 13:05:02

it'll be 9 years next month for us and I still get one or two bits of post a week for the previous owners it all goes in the recycling now

ThatllDoPig Mon 08-Nov-10 13:10:24

Yes, I recycle stuff here too, been here 4 years nearly and there is still a couple of things a week for previous people. At first I forwarded everything on, but can't be arsed now, unless it looks really important.

Scorpette Mon 08-Nov-10 13:57:30

My parents bought their house in 1977. The owner was a widow in her 70s and, coincidentally, had a surname that was only one letter different from ours. Every year, a birthday card and Xmas card arrive for this lady from her nephew and his wife (parents open them, as they often get things sent to them using that other surname)! The woman must surely be dead by now confused

We've been in our flat for 2 yrs now and the previous occupants ran up huge debts at this address and we still have to deal with mountains of bills arriving from them. We contact the companies and debt collection agencies to tell them they're no longer here and send everything back to 'not at this address' but not a single company has stopped sending stuff angry

Serendippy Mon 08-Nov-10 15:12:55

YANBU to be annoyed that you are getting personal mail and anything which comes regularly. Wouldn't be cross about twice yearly postings, charities and that because they are often mass mailings so can go straight in the recycling if you can't be bothered to deal with them. Very annoying that sompanies wont take you off the mailing list!

Deliaskis Mon 08-Nov-10 15:17:47

Tigerschick have to be careful with that as well. We get quite a few calls which start 'can I speak to Mr x', to which we reply 'nobody here of that name', and the next thing they say is 'is that 3 Main Street, Anytown?' to which we reply no, and then they apologise for having our details wrong and start fishing for our actual name and address. I'm pretty sure they're up to no good.

[irrelevant point] also hate the people like my bank who call me and then ask me to identify myself with personal info, errmm...you called me, you identify yourself by telling me something about me.

D

tabouleh Mon 08-Nov-10 15:22:24

I always put back in the post with "not known at this address" some persistent companies I phoned up and demanded that they remove the name from the mail list.

Now we just get a couple of Xmas cards which I recycle. (DH loves to get his hands on these and "display" then on our windowsill - oh look we've had our card from "Renee"...).

MackerelOfFact Mon 08-Nov-10 15:29:34

YANBU. We have lived at our flat for 11 months, and a previous tenant is still paying to redirect letters to our address! A few months ago we got a letter saying the 6-month redirection period was up and we would need to pay to continue the service, and assumed that would be the last of it, but no, we're still getting them - so they must have paid to renew it?! I always stick everything back in the post box, but it doesn't really help as the sender isn't using our address in the first place.

DP thinks it might be dodgy but I don't see how - even though some of the letters are clearly from debt collectors, surely they will turn up at the non-redirected address since Royal Mail only redirects mail, not bailiffs.

rebl Mon 08-Nov-10 16:31:45

YABU. I moved a year ago just before Christmas and my whole address book got a change of address at Christmas. Plus all the banks etc were told. AND I put a post office redirection on. Even with all this our old address is still receiving personal mail for us, even from banks who have messed up with change of address with different systems or something. I'll be reminding everyone at Christmas again this year in my Christmas card but I won't be renewing the redirection so more will go to the old house. There is only so much people can do.

CrystalQueen Mon 08-Nov-10 16:38:49

YANBU. We still get stuff after 4 years. In a previous flat we got bank cards which we sent back, and then got more! We had to go into a branch and complain to stop that one.
After being in our current address for about a year we got a postcard through from the police (no name, just our address) about the upcoming court case (!). I phoned in total panic to be told it was for the previous tenant. I was slightly annoyed to get another one a few weeks later, and by the third had totally lost confidence in the powers of detection of the police...
It's all very well putting "return to sender" and reposting, but when the same companies keep sending stuff for years it is a real hassle.

chinchi Mon 08-Nov-10 16:43:49

I agree it is annoying but you wrote in your OP that you wrote to them asking them to change their address so could you not send the parcel onto there. I agree it's not your responsibility, but even for the sake of the person who was kind enough to buy the present.

dolphin13 Mon 08-Nov-10 17:00:57

We moved here in 1997. Every year we get a Christmas card for the previous owners. FGS if you havn't spoken to someone in 13 years to know they have moved why would you still have them on your Christmas card list.

lucykate Mon 08-Nov-10 17:13:51

we still get post for the previous owners and their sons. one of the sons got a cheque the other week, a tax refund. i binned it. if he's not changed the address by now, tough, it's been nearly 5 years fgs!.

we've got no forwarding address either.

ShowOfHands Mon 08-Nov-10 17:21:29

We had a problem when we moved last time as despite the house we lived in having been there for 20yrs, Royal Mail refused to acknowledge it existed (still don't). They have no record of it. When you go to websites that look up an address for you, this one just doesn't exist, the whole terrace doesn't. So we couldn't redirect. We tried our best to let everybody know but it just wasn't possible. 3 years later the old house still gets our mail sometimes.

phipps Mon 08-Nov-10 17:23:11

Of course you have a way of getting it them hmm as you have their address. It really isn't a big deal, you write forward to their address on the envelope then put it in any postbox.

NoahAndTheWhale Mon 08-Nov-10 17:26:20

Companies do send post for years. I had a car before getting married, when I still lived with my mum and dad. Got a few insurance quotes. Have now been married 11 years and my mum and dad still got letters for my old name at their house, telling me it was time to renew my car insurance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: