Talk

Advanced search

to think nothing is off limits when dealing with bigots?

(25 Posts)
2shoes Mon 08-Nov-10 09:42:15

so we don't have to be nice to the, or polite or treat them with any respect.
because respect has to be earned and the sure as hell don't earn it.
I am fed up with the way they hide behind their "rights£ whilst at the same time not giving a shit about other peoples....
phew rant over.

Itsjustafleshwound Mon 08-Nov-10 09:44:49

The policy I have is to treat others like you wish to be treated ... no-one DESERVES to be badly treated regardless of what they think or do.

sarah293 Mon 08-Nov-10 09:45:07

Message withdrawn

2shoes Mon 08-Nov-10 09:50:02

see I think some people do deserve it, when they are racist or homophobic or disablist imo they loose the right to be treated nicely.

Sullwah Mon 08-Nov-10 09:53:35

.. ok - sorry - but just hijacking on (I hope) a small scale.

I really dislike the phrase "respect has to be earned".

I think respect is automatic until a person says or does something to loose that respect.

2shoes Mon 08-Nov-10 09:55:30

yep your right I got that the wrong way round, but still works as a bigot looses respect.

RandyRussian Mon 08-Nov-10 10:16:09

Once loosed where does it go?
Back into the wild? grin

Itsjustafleshwound Mon 08-Nov-10 10:16:32

So you don't have respect for them, but it still doesn't give you the right to treat them badly .... and often just confirms (in their mind) their bigotry!

Bigotry is not always a concious act - it can arise from ignorance ...

Animation Mon 08-Nov-10 10:19:49

Isn't a bigot basically a know it all type?

Ormirian Mon 08-Nov-10 10:20:42

I think that civility is a given. You can disagree without losing your cool. People don't agree on everything - if we all decided that nothing is off limits when dealing with those we disagree with, life would be a bit unpleasant.

And of course dealing with a twat with calm, icy politeness can be very satisfying!

A1980 Mon 08-Nov-10 10:33:55

When did we start using "off limits". This is the second thread with it in the title.

We aren't American. "Out of bounds" is better!

ChippingIn Mon 08-Nov-10 10:39:26

A1980 - where did you get that mad idea from?

RandyRussian----->>>>> Pedants corner.

GiddyPants Mon 08-Nov-10 10:46:17

how do you know who is a bigot until you talk to them? not all of them have a dick-head sign attached to them.

NerdyFace Mon 08-Nov-10 10:47:51

This is about the "Comedy" thread isn't it?

RandyRussian Mon 08-Nov-10 10:54:18

Apologies. Thought this was the comedy thread grin

mayorquimby Mon 08-Nov-10 12:25:43

What rights do bigots hide behind?

confused

sarah293 Mon 08-Nov-10 12:26:34

Message withdrawn

2shoes Mon 08-Nov-10 12:29:26

RandyRussian

mayorquimby Mon 08-Nov-10 12:52:04

So do you disagree with their right to free-speech?
Surely the same right to free speech is what gives people the right to criticise them for their bigotted views?

2shoes Mon 08-Nov-10 12:54:03

no they can say what they like, as is their "right" but they can't can't really expect people to just smile and be nice.

mayorquimby Mon 08-Nov-10 13:05:05

No but I don't see how it's hiding behind a right.
They have a right to free-speech, that doesn't mean you have to smile and agree with them, that's not what the right confers. It means you equally have a right to castigate their views as reprehensible. Or would you describe people who invoke their right to free-speech when criticising these bigots as "hiding behind rights"?
The ECHR precedents on freedom of expression also extends to language which shocks,disgusts and offends (can't remember the exact quote or judgment so I'm paraphrasing) so they are not hiding behind a right, they are legitimately envoking it.
People who criticise them are equally valid in invoking their rights.

EldritchCleavage Mon 08-Nov-10 13:07:27

I don't think you should abandon your own moral values just because the person you're dealing with hasn't got any.
Agree with Sullwah and Orm.

sarah293 Mon 08-Nov-10 13:08:29

Message withdrawn

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Nov-10 13:09:32

Speak your mind freely.

IMO its best if you can do it politely but that doesn't necessitate one iota of respect in your voice. If you descend to their level then it detracts from the argument.

Itsjustafleshwound Mon 08-Nov-10 13:11:24

So it is okay to

Swear
Hit them - (they were asking for it)
Verbally Abuse them
Attack their families
Stab them
Shoot them

<<You did say there were no limits>>

You become no better than them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now