Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked that my neighbour's son stole my mobile phone?

(12 Posts)
Arabica Sun 07-Nov-10 19:44:53

On Friday we invited the next-door neighbour's kids (X, a boy aged 11, and 2 girls 7 and 5) to watch fireworks with DD (4) and DS (9).
We only moved in a couple of months ago and DS sometimes plays with the 2 younger kids. We don't know X so well but he's the kind of kid who always says hello and seems friendly enough.
After a few fireworks it started raining so all the kids came in for ice cream, juice etc. Then off they went home--a happy time was had by all.
On Saturday I couldn't find the mobile I use for the charity I volunteer for anywhere. I was puzzled as had definitely used it on Friday afternoon. Looked under sofa, in laundry basket, everywhere.
Suddenly about an hour ago there was a knock at the door. Neighbour's big brother Y, aged 16, said, did (DH) give X a mobile today?
'Was it a Blackberry?' I asked in surprise. X denied everything but then started spinning a yarn about his friend (not DH) giving him a mobile phone.
I explained that it was not my personal phone but one used by a charity that helps children with disabilities. I said if I didn't get it back within 24 hours I would have to talk to the police.
10 minutes later, back comes the mobile--minus its SIM card.
Luckily T-mobile say it has not been used but I (and/or the charity) must pay a £10 fee for a new SIM.
Family next door don't seem at all well off, mum is often out or away and doesn't speak good English, and X is too young for a Saturday job.
How can I best play it so that X learns a lesson and doesn't nick my stuff again--but still maintain friendly relations with the neighbours?

janx Sun 07-Nov-10 19:51:30

Poor you - I would just be straight with your neighbours and talk to the mum and tell her what happened. He is old enough to know that what he did was wrong. It is awkward, but she needs to know that her son is stealing. I would also mention that the sim card was not returned. Good luck

BeerTricksPotter Sun 07-Nov-10 19:55:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Skyrg Sun 07-Nov-10 19:55:58

Sounds like the older brother speaks good English, I'd make sure he was around and speak to the mother. Be very polite but stress that you need the SIM card back.

Sounds like he's sold it, so he should have the money at least.
Not sure I'd be inviting him round again either...

cumfy Sun 07-Nov-10 20:36:14

Presumably he's taken the SIM card out, so that you technically can't prove it's your phone or something ?

This in itself demonstrates significant intent/criminal involvement.

Be careful.

Arabica Sun 07-Nov-10 20:42:40

It's a bit of a dilemma--I'd briefly wondered if one of the kids had picked it up but dismissed it. I think I will have to have a few words with mum--I feel bad but if it was DS I would want to know that he had been stealing (and telling really crap lies to cover it up).

AlpinePony Sun 07-Nov-10 20:44:13

cumfy - each and every handset has a unique code. All blackberries are not created equal! wink

Arabica Sun 07-Nov-10 20:44:51

No cumfy, I can still prove it is my phone, they have an individual ID number, and also there is info stored on the phone itself, such as a record of calls made, which i can still see despite the SIM not being in.

Arabica Sun 07-Nov-10 22:09:10

any more ideas?

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Nov-10 22:19:07

I think you really need to talk to the mum and try and resolve it calmly

Tiredmumno1 Sun 07-Nov-10 22:19:12

I think you really need to talk to the mum and try and resolve it calmly

Arabica Sun 07-Nov-10 22:27:13

Yes, am aiming to be calm and sensible but firm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now