Talk

Advanced search

to think that its fairly dangerous and frankly gets me right pissed off

(23 Posts)
WhyIsThatThen Sun 07-Nov-10 19:16:09

For fireworks the size of ones at a display keep getting set off. I hate the sound, hate the smell, hate the fucking cartridges on the street and yet I live in a usually sleepy village.

I hate them and really feel they shouldn't be for general sale.

AAARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ray81 Sun 07-Nov-10 19:18:36

YANBU i agree. Unless they are in a organised display that is regulated i hate them.

TBH i cannot beleive that with all the health and safety regulations there are in place nowadays they allow them in backgardens.

They are so dangerous.

Plus its not firework night anymore so they need to stop.

BangingNoise Sun 07-Nov-10 19:19:35

YANBU.

JaxTellersOldLady Sun 07-Nov-10 19:21:13

YANBU - we always go to an organised display, they have fantastic fireworks and it isnt a 'cheap' display.

Yet people still set off fireworks all around here.
My dog HATES them and although not a total wreck, he has started sniffing the air at the back door to see if it is safe for him to go out to the loo. sad

WhyHavePets Sun 07-Nov-10 19:21:16

YANBU for lots of reasons! Organised displays are better, safer and regulated, surely it is a no-brainer?

AlistairSim Sun 07-Nov-10 19:21:47

I loathe fireworks and think they should only be for public displays on the 5/11. No other days and not in back gardens.

YANBU.

Nancy66 Sun 07-Nov-10 19:22:32

we let off great big motherfucker fireworks in our garden last night - it's once a year, for a few minutes.

it's fun.

Myleetlepony Sun 07-Nov-10 19:25:41

I'll add to this. My neighbour found the remains of fuckin' chinese lanterns in her field this morning. angry She's got horses (one old mare in her 30's), sheep and goats in there. It could have been a disaster, but of course my friend had to go over the whole thing with a wheelbarrow to make sure nothing was left on the grass. They came over from the village firework display (dimwit organisers?). I was lucky, the wind obviously didn't send them my way. To get over to the field they landed in they would have travelled over houses and gardens and woodland. It doesn't bear thinking about.

WhyIsThatThen Sun 07-Nov-10 19:25:48

Nancy, I hope you have a big garden. Once a year or every weekend, it still poses the same threat wink

I am very bah humbug about it all!!!

Nancy66 Sun 07-Nov-10 19:29:57

Nope - we live in london and have an average size garden.

fireworks started about 6 - all over by half past. Lot of noise, bit of smell and all cleared up this morning.

DanceInTheDark Sun 07-Nov-10 19:31:57

YANBU. I had a firework set off close to my face when i was 16 and have had a near miss with a rocket since. I hate the bastard things!

WhyIsThatThen Sun 07-Nov-10 19:36:55

I think of them as penis extensions.....

To think we will have it all over again on NYE hmm

They are dangerous, Dance it sounds like you were very lucky. Thank goodness.

NewHouseNewLife Sun 07-Nov-10 19:42:01

We had some in the back garden last night, but they weren't big mo fos, just crappy efforts from tesco.

My boy is autistic, couldn't handle a big display, standing around in the cold shoulder to shoulder with people.

But he LOVES fireworks.

So we had them in the back garden for half an hour with sparklers.

Agree people should be responsible with them though. I fell on a sparkler when young, and don't particularly like fireworks, but it's perfectly possible to let them off safely you know, thats why there are guidelines to follow!

mimps Sun 07-Nov-10 19:49:03

YADNBU

why the heck are we (being the general public) allowed to buy them anyway? they are as dangerous as fire arms ffs

santander Sun 07-Nov-10 20:11:09

Oh thank god. There are other people who hate fireworks as well as me. I was beginning to think it was just me.

I bloody hate them.
My babies hate them.
My dog hates them.
My horses hate them.

YANBU

annie987 Sun 07-Nov-10 20:15:02

I love them. We had loads in our garden last night (average sized mid estate location). The kids loved it and so did I.
It's one of my fondest childhood memories and I hope it will be for my children too.

mousymouse Sun 07-Nov-10 20:15:43

not so much fun if you have ever spent bonfire night in A&E...

Ormirian Sun 07-Nov-10 20:19:17

I love fireworks. Love love love them! And no I have never known anyone that has been burnt by one or a fire that has started by them, I have never known a cat that has een tied to to one, or a chil that has had their hands burnt by a sparkler. So forgive me if I fail to see them as they tools of the devil.

BTW is it OK to call for the banning of anything I don't like? Goodie!

BoobyMcLeaky Sun 07-Nov-10 20:22:28

mimps I agree. They shouldn't be on sale to the general public, they are dangerous.

We went to a display last night organised by the local council. Was fab and much safer than being in someone's back garden (most of them aren't big enough to allow people to stand far enough back from the big fireworks anyway!).

fuzzypicklehead Sun 07-Nov-10 20:22:54

I really enjoy watching them and setting them off. But having gone through years with a terrified dog and this weekend with a hysterical toddler... I'll be confining myself to organized displays and maybe a few sparklers from now on. sad

suzikettles Sun 07-Nov-10 20:26:56

I think that you should only be able to buy fireworks from a council-run shop, and you should have to get a permit from the police before you can buy from that shop.

They're explosives ffs!

Actually, I'd be happy for no fireworks to be allowed outside organised displays, but as a compromise I'd have them heavily licensed to stop 10 year-olds (and those with the mentality of a 10 year old - apologies to most reasonable 10 year olds) setting them off through people's letterboxes/putting themselves/their neighbours/their friends/innocent passers-by in hospital.

sixpercenttruejedi Sun 07-Nov-10 20:29:16

I quite like them as long as it's One Night Only. My pets don't like them but can cope for one night, but seems like it's randomly spread over 2 weeks here.

MadamDeathstare Sun 07-Nov-10 20:33:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: