Talk

Advanced search

To expect DD's teacher to use the name we gave her?

(133 Posts)
MumblingClothDoll Sun 07-Nov-10 16:16:14

DD has a double barreled surname...hyphenated. She began in year2 of her school this year and then another child with the same first name joined the class....so her teacher began Calling them Anna B and Anna M....my daughter being Anna M...now...technically my DD is Anna M-S....should I say something or not? Anna M appears on lists, and charts and everything...and DD does not seem to mind but not sure how DH would feel.

Here's the thing...we are going away for a year and returning to the same school for year three...so should I just leave it for now? Or say something?

I don't feel quite comfortable with the teacher doing this...I guess it's to make things easier but it seems a bit rude to me...tell me ....what do you think and is it worth mentioning or should I just indicate to her new teacher next year that we prefer her full surname used?

I am bad at approaching things like this...I always come over as hysterical and anxious...

hairytriangle Sun 07-Nov-10 16:17:47

Yabu. What a fuss! Seems quite inconsequential to me!

musicmadness Sun 07-Nov-10 16:19:16

YABU - The M is the starting letter of her surname even if it is hyphenated. I don't see why it matters in the slightest anyway.

saffy85 Sun 07-Nov-10 16:19:21

Does it really matter? hmm

I wouldn't bother mentioning this at all, it's such a non issue really.

MumblingClothDoll Sun 07-Nov-10 16:20:11

I suppose the best thing would be to teach her to write the ole name which she cannot uite do atm....then she can put it on her work instead of her Anna M-S

It doesn't matter does it? You see...I sometimes cannot tell whats ok and what's not.

JaxTellersOldLady Sun 07-Nov-10 16:20:25

you cant be going away for a year and returning in year 3 if your DD is in yr2 now.

Unless you are going immediately in which case YABU and it wont matter as you are going; besides, you should have bigger fish to fry.

MumNWLondon Sun 07-Nov-10 16:20:29

If your daughter doesn't care why do you? My son is also known by his name and first letter of surname and I often think I didn't name him (say) - John "Bee" - but its just the teachers way of easily distinguishing him from the other child with same frist name.

Can't really believe you think its rude!

MumblingClothDoll Sun 07-Nov-10 16:20:51

I think I have has some worry over one of her surnames dissapearing...when we wanted them both to live...

MumblingClothDoll Sun 07-Nov-10 16:21:24

jax...we will be returnig DURING year three...

MumblingClothDoll Sun 07-Nov-10 16:22:30

Well I obviously shouldn't have thught it rude...which is why I came here...but the fact is that her surname is her identity isn't it? Part of who she is....she may becomme known by just half of it.

BabyDubsEverywhere Sun 07-Nov-10 16:22:38

I cant think of anything less important Y-really-ABU!

MmeLindt Sun 07-Nov-10 16:22:49

Well, it may not be very important but Anna M is not her name. Her name is Anna M-S.

If OP wanted her to be Anna M she would have called her that.

Have a quick word with the teacher - "I know it is not really important but we would prefer if Anna's notes and charts were under her complete name Anna M-S."

Littlefish Sun 07-Nov-10 16:24:28

Don't even mention it. You are making a fuss about nothing.

Your daughter will still be Anna M when being referred to, whether she writes her whole name on her work or not.

My daughter is one of 4 children in her class with the same name or derivatives of the name. In fact, she's the only one who uses the full name. In spite of this, she's always called by her first name and surname. I wouldn't dream of going in to see the teacher and ask her just to call my dd by her first name.

Enjoy your year away smile

gallicgirl Sun 07-Nov-10 16:24:38

Can't see the problem really. It's just to differentiate between the two girls. I'm sure if it really bothered you then a quiet word with the teacher would get the name changed easily.

Trust me, it could be worse, I had a fellow student with the same name as me who was constantly referred to as "the other gallicgirl".

Perhaps ask your DH what he thinks and take your cue from him?

MumblingClothDoll Sun 07-Nov-10 16:25:56

If it's not important then why have a name at all?

MumblingClothDoll Sun 07-Nov-10 16:27:39

gallicgirl...but I would not mind hat so much...it was still her name...not half of it.

saffy85 Sun 07-Nov-10 16:28:11

But one day your DD may choose to change her whole name by deedpoll, or get married and take her husband's name. Or only go by her first name like Madonna grin

How is her surname her identity? It's part of it sure, but not a huge part. Think you're being very silly by fretting about it.

RealEyesRealiseRealLies Sun 07-Nov-10 16:28:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

gapbear Sun 07-Nov-10 16:31:18

By all means, speak to the teacher. But be ready for the strangely blank look as s/he thinks "wtf?"

LynetteScavo Sun 07-Nov-10 16:31:31

If it's important to you, it's important. If it's important enough, you will pluck up the courage to say something.

At nursery DD was only ever known by her nn, but DH and I used to get really annoyed when they wrote her nn on her pictures. I asked them not to, and they obliged.

If you are leaving very soon, maybe wait untill you come back in Y£ to say something.

MumblingClothDoll Sun 07-Nov-10 16:33:20

Yes Saffy but that would be HER choice...not someone elses who is not aeven a relation!

RealEys your post does make me feel much better...so many thanks for that.

I see what you say now about the hyphen actually making it one word.

I like the idea of the Maiden name becming the firsst name...my aiden name would actually work in that case bt it would be VERY flowery and a bit too Boho.

I think I sometimes get paranoid that people judge me for having my Maiden name in there are we're not vry posh iyswim, but that's probably my paranoia!

SO glad I asked on here!

MumblingClothDoll Sun 07-Nov-10 16:34:31

Lynette what is an NN?

SE13Mummy Sun 07-Nov-10 16:35:08

I think you need to take your cue from your DD. If she is happy to be Anna M then leave it, if it upsets her then bring it up.

Presumably she was straightforward Anna until an extra Anna joined the class? Did it bother you then that her label always said Anna instead of Anna firstpartofsurname-secondpartofsurname? If it didn't, then I think YABU - we teachers have enough to worry about without parents fussing about the initial used to distinguish one Anna from another.

cory Sun 07-Nov-10 16:35:19

Agree with RealEyes. To most people, a hyphenated name counts as one word, therefore Anna M. is the correct abbreviation.

But anyway, if you see this as a threat to your dd's identity, you will have a lot to worry about.

As she moves up through school, she may well insist on a nickname that has nothing to do with the name you gave her.

Starting school is the beginning of growing up, which means negotiating her own way and finding out what is important to her, rather than what was important to you when you gave birth to her. This is normal and natural and to be embraced. Your job is to support her, but not to create worries for her.

LynetteScavo Sun 07-Nov-10 17:25:51

Nic Name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now