Talk

Advanced search

East Coast Rail to be returned to private ownership

(10 Posts)
TheBeast Fri 05-Nov-10 13:59:52

According to the BBC East Coast Rail is making a profit now that it is state owned, with passenger numbers up.

So what is the point of handing it back to private ownership, other than ideology?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 05-Nov-10 20:39:42

It's probably just ideology, as you say, but having spent several hours on one of their trains today, if privatising it would produce bigger seats/more space generally, that would be nice.

And I'm a shortarse. God knows how uncomfortable the long-legged couple sitting opposite me felt!

Simbacatlives Fri 05-Nov-10 20:46:31

It is making a profit because the service has declined. They sell off cheap tickets- overcrowd the trains and have cut the staff.

Interested to see how many hacked off customers will leave it falls any lower.

TheBeast Sat 06-Nov-10 04:14:23

Sorry, the story says passenger numbers have increased. Do you know better? And was the service better under the last lot of privatisation?

Simbacatlives Sat 06-Nov-10 10:18:32

They are making more changes this month. I travel with them at least once a week usually twice on a 2.5 hour journey each way.

Passenger numbers probably have increased- they sell £10 tickets. Mine cost £341- that used to give space to work, comfort and refreshments. Now they sell off advance tickets 1st so cheap(£30) that trains are overcrowded.

Our large company has asked us to consider on a personal basis if we feel that paying for this declined service at a premium is worth it. Some colleages have said no and others are thinking about it.

They will lose about 9k in revenue from me if opt to stop travelling in 1st as it has declined so much and is so overcrowded.

Yes the service was better before.

MummyBerryJuice Sat 06-Nov-10 10:25:31

We travel to London from York on East Coast at least once a month and I would say that there has been a significant deterioration in the service/travel experience since it has been nationalised (and IMO more expensive if not buying super advance tickets)

I'm not entirely sure hat I am for mass privatisation of all services but if privatisation brings the standard back up to what the National Express trains were like I'm all for it b

TheBeast Sat 06-Nov-10 13:21:21

I think you have almost persuaded me; I just had the impression that National Express had provided a terrible service at a high price. Certainly, their East Anglian service is hugely expensive and overcrowded.

Simbacatlives Mon 08-Nov-10 17:47:29

Ok. I am writing this from an east coast train. £341 return ticket. This includes food and car parking. They say a 3 course meal which actually they have never had in the past 2 years.

Way out-staff shortages meant no chef- ready meals only but although they had loaded curry they had not put any rice on!

Way back- due to staff shortages not even ready meals- sandwiches only. No complimentary crisps- they forgot to put them on.

Asked about complaining- told to go on the website.

Seems no seats in2nd class as trains cancelled earlier in the day.

Return to state control seems to be working really well!

GunPowderedRingletsHeyer Mon 08-Nov-10 17:59:56

My tickets usually cost £240, once a week. And that's standard class.

And they've had the nerve to start charging for wifi?!

4 out of my last 5 return journeys have been late.

I think it's a disgraceful service. And regarding the room issue - I'm 6'2", a size 12 and there is not enough room for me!

CommanderDrool Mon 08-Nov-10 18:31:31

I can't bear Virgin either.

5 hours on a packed claustrophobic train with two old bags set in seats I had booked. Apparently there was a computer malfunction and all reservations were off.

Three kids 6 and under, including a 15 month old baby. Two vomiting from the heat and rocking of a train not built to run on old railway lines.

But the toilets are huge!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: