Talk

Advanced search

to want to re-read the whole Malory Towers and St Claires series?

(213 Posts)
SlightlyJaded Thu 04-Nov-10 16:26:17

Oh the twins. And drippy Gwendoline Mary, and Darrell Rivers... although I can't quite remember who went to which school.

thedollshouse Thu 04-Nov-10 16:28:26

YANBU. I always thought that I would get to re-read them if I had daughters but I have two boys so don't really have an excuse. I loved those books.

pagwatch Thu 04-Nov-10 16:28:39

Gwen and Darrell were Malory Towers, along with Belinda and madcap Irene and Miss Greyling etc.

malory towers is the better series. I can say that having never read St Claires.

I liked the hats

DastardlyandSmugly Thu 04-Nov-10 16:28:44

I've recently started reading Secret Seven with DS and thoroughly enjoying them. The boarding school books were my absolute faves though.

Wheelybug Thu 04-Nov-10 16:30:18

I bought a box set of malory towers a couple of years ago. DD1 was about 3 at the time grin. I have re-read them myself. Waiting for the book people to do a St CLaire's one and then that will be mine too !!

MrsJohnDeere Thu 04-Nov-10 16:36:05

YANBU. I reread them when og with ds1. I started just after having my 20 week scan and discovering he was a boy (and so was unlikely to want to read them himself at any point).

moondog Thu 04-Nov-10 16:37:00

God no you are not!
I do so very regularly indeed.
/madcap Irenbe'

<guffaw>

mozette Thu 04-Nov-10 16:37:20

I would love to but think I probably won't feel the same about them after I have read them.

Mind you have have been reading Heidi & Anne of Green Gables with DD and it has been enjoyable.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 04-Nov-10 16:38:02

YANBU, though Enid Blyton doesn't read so well when you're an adult. There are other childhood favourites which are a joy to re-read.

coatgate Thu 04-Nov-10 16:38:29

Mallory Towers where they had the cliff steps down to natural sea swimming pool... My parents gave all my books away years ago, or I would be happily settling down with them. Was there a Carlotta in the St Clare's series - was she of Romany stock?

Have just bought Jill's Gymkhana for DD which has been rerprinted. Can't wait for the rest.

Cortina Thu 04-Nov-10 16:39:10

They are her amongst her best!

I love the Adventure books too, The Valley of Adventure is perhaps her best book ever.

Also The Secret Island is very good which was also her elder daughter's favourite book.

bruffin Thu 04-Nov-10 16:40:20

I used to reread them regularly as a comfort read. DD quite liked St Clares (she heard those on tape) but I don't think she ever tried Mallory Towers mainly because mine were old fashioned looking 70s copies which put her off a bit.

Cortina Thu 04-Nov-10 16:41:34

Great as a comfort read. Currently reading the Barney mysteries for exactly that reason. blush

Deliaskis Thu 04-Nov-10 16:45:41

Oooh nostalgia thread! I loved both Malory Towers & St Clares, although I think with a slight preference for MT - Darrell and Sally and Alicia and Better and Belinda and Irene and drippy Gwendoline Mary. And a girl called Bill in 3rd yr who had a horse. How exciting it seemed as a child to imagine going to a school with a swimming pool in the rocks, and where you could take your own horse. And where they had French teachers who were always a bit nuts.

And yes there was a Carlotta in St Clares who was of romany stock I think, and the twins Patricia and Isabelle, and I can't remember the rest really.

YAsoNBU.

D

Wheelybug Thu 04-Nov-10 16:51:27

OOOh Jill's Gymkhana...

(off to Amazon).

pointissima Thu 04-Nov-10 16:52:32

Darrell looked at herself in the mirror and admired her smart brown and orange uniform....

Chatelaine Thu 04-Nov-10 16:54:41

I wonder what they are all doing now? I have lovely memories of innocently growing up through reading. smile

MaryMungo Thu 04-Nov-10 17:09:04

I buy old Bunty and Diana annuals whenever I see them. I suppose they're in the same category. Takes me right back evertime I open one up....

VivaLeBeaver Thu 04-Nov-10 17:10:09

Not at all. I'm currently reading Chalet school books.

Fernie3 Thu 04-Nov-10 17:10:21

I loved chalet school I sold them all on eBay a few years ago i want them back

octopusinabox Thu 04-Nov-10 17:17:01

Ooh, I used to love those books. I should find out if my parents still have them I'm amazed you all remember so many details though - I recognise a lot of the names now you've said them but would have been hard pushed to remember them myself.

twirlymum Thu 04-Nov-10 17:24:37

Wasn't Carlotta seen as 'wild' because she had curly hair, and did cartwheels?
I thought she was Spanish.

tubsywubsy Thu 04-Nov-10 17:30:21

Don't do it! I read a St Clare's book which had been left in a holiday cottage we stayed in last year. What a disappointment. Characters were so one-dimensional, awful class-consciousness, thin plot lines, not at all as I remembered. Just keep those fond memories and don't revisit.

nymphadora Thu 04-Nov-10 17:36:13

I don't like the re prints or extension ones. dd1 currently reading them at me and I don't like them changing things!

I have Chalet school though. Collecting the GGB ones atm.

Ariesgirl Thu 04-Nov-10 17:39:30

Ok, I think I can help here. Carlotta was at St Clare's and she joined in the Summer Term and was a wild, half-Spanish gypsy, or a "nasty little circus girl" as Prudence (the ghastly new girl) called her. She ranted at Mam'zelle in Spanish, but Mam'zelle understood her, being of fellow Latin stock and she was in big trouble!

But Malory Towers was better.

<gets coat>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now