Talk

Advanced search

..to want to swim naked

(85 Posts)
notsocrates Fri 29-Oct-10 16:45:43

I am waaaaaay the wrong side of 40 and have never swum in a lake, river or pool unencumbered by clothes. Have I left it too late or should I throw caution to the wind, rip up my "To Do" list, head out to the nearest remote body of water and embrace wild swimming?

There are other things I want to do before I die that are a little more suited to my, ahem, great age and beauty (not). Should I start with those instead, I wonder, rather than risk frightening the horses?

BubbaAndBump Fri 29-Oct-10 16:48:38

As long as it's not your local swimming baths, I'd say go for it - it's a very liberating feeling

I would hope that swimming naked is one of your tamest "hope to do before I die" list items!

GreenStinkingStumpSleeves Fri 29-Oct-10 16:48:46

I'd wait until it's a bit bloody warmer, personally

but then go for it! It's a lovely feelinggrin

and if people don't like it, tough shit

OooeeeoooeeeoooeeEthel Fri 29-Oct-10 16:49:54

YABU at this time of year in the UK. Somewhere warm? Go for it.

HalloweeseG Fri 29-Oct-10 16:50:04

It's one of my greatest pleasures

Lotofdamnationandhellfire Fri 29-Oct-10 16:51:41

ooh, fantastic. I think you should head to your nearest remotest body of water and go for it! grin

Mind you, a man that lives locally to my aunt went wild running and got arrested!

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 29-Oct-10 16:51:48

I'm a wild swimmer, though usually wearing something.
Do it do it do it!

This is a lovely book to help you find good places (and do it safely).

needafootmassage Fri 29-Oct-10 16:54:59

It is gorgeous, you're right, and I didn't start until I was 40. One of the most sensuous, earthing feelings you can get - I have a secret river swimming spot, and have also swum in the sea at Studland near Bournemouth on a section of the beach which is naturist. (I'm otherwise a clothed person for preference - it's just the swimming.)

borderslass Fri 29-Oct-10 16:56:21

used to belong to a naturist club nothing wrong with the naked body or swimming naked.

MenorcaFan Fri 29-Oct-10 16:58:31

It's luverly!

But I've only done it in a very private swimming pool on holiday, or in the sea at a naturist beach - so everyone was doing it and no-one cared a jot.

It's really liberating.

onceamai Fri 29-Oct-10 16:59:19

Go for it. If I were to give it a go, the pool would empty in no time - BLISS grin

bruffin Fri 29-Oct-10 17:00:22

Apparently there is a lady who swims naked at The Sanctuary in Covent Garden, she is supposed to be no spring chicken either.

notsocrates Fri 29-Oct-10 17:02:17

:-) excellent, I am bolstered in my resolve. I will do it. The Sanctuary might be a nice (warm) place to start and then Studland next Summer :-)

Wild running can wait until I am 60.

ENormaSnob Fri 29-Oct-10 17:03:55

Do it grin

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 29-Oct-10 17:04:31

Can confirm tis lovely. Unless you are somewhere temperate leave it till next summer. Or make friends with some incredibly rich people who have their own pool.

pooter Fri 29-Oct-10 17:06:31

DO IT!

One of my favourite memories is swimming naked, at night, (with a group of similarly semi-pissed-up people)in a naturally formed pool in the middle of Spain. bliss. It feels totally different and freeing.

DO IT! Then come and tell us all about it. smile

scrappydappydoo Fri 29-Oct-10 17:07:58

I know a public pool that has a naked swimming session... I wouldn't mind doing it in privacy but just thought of doing lengths with other naked people makes me shudder

scrappydappydoo Fri 29-Oct-10 17:08:41

in privacy??? I mean in private blush

pooter Fri 29-Oct-10 17:10:22

sethstarkadder'smummyreturns (phew) that book is now on my wishlist. cant wait!!! grin Thanks!

RevoltingPeasant Fri 29-Oct-10 17:13:29

Do it grin

Though, last time I did, in a lovely secluded bend in the river in the Yorkshire Dales... I got out and a woman smoking fag popped out from behind a bush and said 'Do you know they've got CCTV cameras in the trees?'

equal parts hmm confused blush!

mittz Fri 29-Oct-10 17:14:01

Oh you have to do it... it is a lovely experience smile

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 29-Oct-10 17:32:44

IME if you do it in England in the winter anyone who happens to catch sight of you is far more interested in the fact that you are actually braving the cold water than that you are naked.

Lovemybrood Fri 29-Oct-10 17:36:30

I've done it in the early hours of the morning and watching the lightening in the distance.

I was amazing.

TeiTetua Fri 29-Oct-10 17:43:57

You've picked a challenging time of year to have this idea, but it is a fine thing to do if you're able. Just be aware that after you swim nude, you will never willingly swim in a costume again.

Mumsnutterwithanaxeontheloose Fri 29-Oct-10 17:44:56

When I was a member of the Sanctuary (aeons ago) everyone swam naked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now