Talk

Advanced search

to be excited about cabbage

(16 Posts)
asbolutelyfabulous Wed 20-Oct-10 10:06:19

My neighbour made a lovely cabbage and potato stew with marjoram and carraway yesterday, and it was so delicious I haven't been able to get it out of my head. I am making it for dinner tonight, and will subject the whole family to a house stinking of boiled cabbage. Do I need to get a life?

MiasmARGGHHH Wed 20-Oct-10 10:07:24

No, it sounds delicious!

Fancy sharing the recipe ?

lollipopshoes Wed 20-Oct-10 10:07:39

YANBU

I luuuuurve cabbage grin

What time shall I come round for my tea?

Deliaskis Wed 20-Oct-10 10:09:26

I've been on a bit of a cabbage bender lately. I think because it is something we tend to have with stews and stuff in the winter (even though cabbage in the spring is better!).

Braised red cabbaged with Sunday roast
White cabbage with stew
Raw cabbage in homemade coleslaw

I'm definitely getting my 5-a-day (not all cabbage though, that would be wroooooong!).

D

asbolutelyfabulous Wed 20-Oct-10 10:14:58

I think it'll be quite easy to make. A savoy cabbage, sliced, and some potatoes, diced, then boiled until soft. She didn't use a huge amount of water, just enough to cover the veg.
Then,she made a roux-type thing, with flour and oil, then added it to the veggies and water when they were soft. Then, salt and pepper to taste and the marjoram and carraway seeds of course. The result was stewy and a bit thick, lovely for this cold weather.
As delicious as this was, I think I'll make the roux with butter rather than oil,add some fried onion, and will chuck some coriander seeds into the mix as well.
It's actually a Hungarian recipe, called fuzalok or something similar (perhaps someone Hungarian will come along and correct me) and can be made with any veg to hand. Fab, I love cabbage!

asbolutelyfabulous Wed 20-Oct-10 10:16:34

Oh, and served with sour cream and fresh bread.

gingercat12 Wed 10-Nov-10 21:26:15

absolutelyfabulous This type thick soup food is called "fozelek". You can make it out of almost anything, like carrots, pumpkins, beans, etc. It is a staple food in canteens with some meatballs or battered cheese.

TattyDevine Wed 10-Nov-10 21:32:18

Battered cheese!?! Now ya talking. I didn't think cheese could be even worse for you but it can. BRING IT ON.

The cabbage thing sounds fab. Agree do the roux with butter.

Sounds like a good hangover cure (though hangover farts are bad enough to be fair without adding cabbage into the equasion)

gingercat12 Thu 11-Nov-10 13:36:46

grin

effymeffy Thu 11-Nov-10 13:55:50

lol at hangover farts and battered cheese

badfairy Thu 11-Nov-10 13:56:34

Oooh yummy grin

FindingMyMojo Thu 11-Nov-10 14:26:28

YANBU that sounds great.

I've been thinking about cavalo nero a lot recently.

SoMuchToBits Thu 11-Nov-10 14:27:31

No - we love cabbage here! Ds always gets excited if we have cabbage. Ditto sprouts.

flossie64 Thu 11-Nov-10 14:30:09

We love cabbage /sprouts too.
Our fav recipe is juniper cabbage, delicious

Horton Thu 11-Nov-10 14:55:20

That fozelek thing sounds completely delicious. I want.

cyb Thu 11-Nov-10 14:56:06

There'll be some bedclothes billowing in your house tonight

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: