Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be fuming about my 'pregnancy'.

(10 Posts)
mooncupflowethover Wed 22-Sep-10 19:08:25

I answered the door today to a salesman. He said 'Hi' and introduced himself. My 2 Dc's ran into the kitchen and he started chatting to them, 'Ooh give me a high five/aren't you cute' kind of rubbish.

He then pointed at my stomach and said 'Are you having another one?. I said 'No, it's just fat'. He than started babbling ' Nooo, you're quite slim, look at your arms', at this point he squeezed my wrist, 'and your face is slim, no, you're not fat'. I said 'Why did you ask if I was pregnant then?'. He didn't reply so I made my excuses and he went.

This has happened a few times lately. At first it was funny, then as my baby approached 2 it wasn't so funny...and now I'm pretty pissed off.

I'm a little portly, but even so..! Should I just develop more of a sense of humour, or is my annoyance justified?

pinkbasket Wed 22-Sep-10 19:09:30

You are justified and he shouldn't have touched you.

wonka Wed 22-Sep-10 19:15:01

Me too... pissed me off so much I've started doing sit ups and now I've put my back out! sad

FlyingInTheCLouds Wed 22-Sep-10 19:15:55

ohh this has happened to me a few times. (got offered a seat on the tram, accepted in embarrassment then had to answer loads of 'when are you due?' questions by the good samaritan grin)

mind I've done it the other way round and thats even more mortifying.

at least he tried to make amends

get yea to a gym (meet you there!)

eaglewings Wed 22-Sep-10 19:20:07

Your annoyance is justified, but there is no point getting too cross, its a waste of energy - people will continue to say it women.

I was annoyed when a Dr's receptionist sat a child with possible chicken pox next to while saying to the Mum - "please don't sit in the other room, there could be a woman who is pregnant!

Do I look to old to be pregnant? Trouble was,there was a possibility I was pregnant and had to get up and leave!

salizchap Wed 22-Sep-10 19:42:53

I got asked that in the local bakery when I lived in Spain. The Spaniards aren´t very tactful (sledge hammer comes to mind). It is mildly annoying, but it´s not worth getting het up about. I just laughed it off saying, no I´m just fat.

mooncupflowethover Wed 22-Sep-10 21:01:57

At least I'm not alone!! grin

I dunno, I always make sure it's without a shadow of a doubt that someone's pregnant before I mention, just wish they could offer me the same courtesy!

At least it's spurred me on to do something about it finally.

textpest Wed 22-Sep-10 21:51:37

I don't have any DC - before you asked I was here for TTC but it all went out the window - and get asked quite a lot as I have a tummy. Was in a meeting recently when the school skinny minny's pregnancy was announced and before the Head could say the name everyone looked at me.

He shouldn't have touched you - thats a bit wierd.

funkychunkymunky Wed 22-Sep-10 22:28:55

I'd have asked him not to speak to the kids like that as I'm teaching them stranger danger and he's a stranger grin

Defo shouldn't have touched you. Weird.

hobnobsaremyfave Wed 22-Sep-10 22:32:55

Took DD into work yesterday (I work with the elderly) one of the piped up "Who's baby is that then? Is it your granddaughter?"............I AM 36!!!! I mean I know I look a bit rough and knackered but GRANDMOTHER!!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: