Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed with this member of bar staff?

(45 Posts)
unfitmother Mon 30-Aug-10 19:59:29

I was at a private family function last week. DD was running round shrieking playing nicely outside with the other children, the venue was chosen due to safe outside space.
DD (aged 9) came in crying as she'd fallen over, grazes to knee visable as she was in a dress. The bar staff came running over and was quicker than me, who had been drinking. blush (DH was there as designated driver/sober parent).
We took DD to the Ladies and I was calmly trying to clean DD's grazes but this bar staff was really pandering to her and getting her more worked up. When I (or rather she) had finnished she picked DD, who's nearly 10, up and carried her back to the bar! I heard DD saying "I want Mum" and kept close.
Barmaid then applied a plaster (I was so pissed off that my first aid kit was in my other bag) and I thanked her whilst thinking she was a loon.
I then saw her giving DD a coke.
On reflection I think she was out of order not just for smothering someone else's child when they were present but many people aren't allowed or can't have fizzy drinks.
AIB ungrateful or was she a loon? hmm

traceybath Mon 30-Aug-10 20:01:20

Umm you are being so ungrateful smile

She was trying to help and perhaps thought in the nicest possible way that she needed to do it as her mummy was pissed wink

And regarding coke - well she's 9 not 9 months so its not that shocking really.

cupcakesandbunting Mon 30-Aug-10 20:02:39

You're the loon. I'd be pleased if someone was kind to my injured child.

LackingInspiration Mon 30-Aug-10 20:02:40

YABU

nagoo Mon 30-Aug-10 20:04:33

it depends entirely on how pissed you were. Also bearing in mind how drunk you think you are, and how drunk you seem are two very different things.

<judgy pants not on BTW you are allowed to have fun!>

I think if you'd clearly been drinking then not a loon. If you were more sober then presumably you'd have been better equipped to take charge?

emmyloulou Mon 30-Aug-10 20:04:43

Could your drinking have affected how you saw the situation and how they did?

I don't see the issue.

LetThereBeRock Mon 30-Aug-10 20:04:51

YABU.

FallingWithStyle Mon 30-Aug-10 20:06:51

She was possibly a bit over-attentive.
You, however, sound barking.

CaptainKirksNipples Mon 30-Aug-10 20:07:25

I would have thought it was lovely for someone else to be caring like that. What is wrong with coke for a 9 year old? Were you drunk? YABU.

unfitmother Mon 30-Aug-10 20:08:37

Fairly unanimous then, thanks! smile
I'd had 3 small glasses of wine but emotions may have also been clouding my judgement, it was a funeral reception.
It just seemed odd, to me, to pick up someone else's large child when the Mum was there but I will accept the vote of the MN jury gracefully. wink

scottishmummy Mon 30-Aug-10 20:09:05

you were halfcut and waitress sorted your hurt wean.and you are complaining

have a word

you should be sending her some flowers at work and saying thanks for helping.when her ole lush mum was too bevvied to do owt useful

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 30-Aug-10 20:09:28

And the problem you have is?

unfitmother Mon 30-Aug-10 20:11:52

scottishmummy shock I know IABU can be a bit of a bearpit but that's OTT!
I specifically said I thanked the lady.

scottishmummy Mon 30-Aug-10 20:13:03

and then trotted onto mn to bellyache.behave

CaptainKirksNipples Mon 30-Aug-10 20:14:03

Scottish mummy you are so blunt it is great. Are you the same in real life grin I hope you are!

scottishmummy Mon 30-Aug-10 20:16:43

LOL,are you really James Tiberius Kirk nipples.i hope so

backwardpossom Mon 30-Aug-10 20:17:53

YABU. I'd be delighted that she was so nice. How ungrateful can you be? hmm

Vallhala Mon 30-Aug-10 20:19:40

Of course you are reasonable.

Who in their right minds would want someone being kind and helpful to an injured child?

hmm

Loon.

ivykaty44 Mon 30-Aug-10 20:19:56

you were left feeling a bit of a spare part and this woman tended to your child whilst you were half cut a little merry, I have been half cut at a bbq and then realised that I need to take the dc home to bed

Don't worry there are always pretty much nice people about to help assit when you are slightly worse for wear

though I did get a bit piddle once and sobered up smartish when dd fell over and took over n splendid form

cupcakesandbunting Mon 30-Aug-10 20:20:33

Ahhhhh! Here is Scottishmummy to tell it how it is. grin

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 30-Aug-10 20:23:49

Message withdrawn

usualsuspect Mon 30-Aug-10 20:24:31

YABU ...what Scottishmummy said

scottishmummy Mon 30-Aug-10 20:24:45

not odd to comfort a child?odd to berate someone for doing do

SauvignonBlanche Mon 30-Aug-10 20:33:44

Fucking hell!!
OP says she had 3 glasses of wine not falling over pissed. Someone picks up a 10 year old who says they want her mum?
OP comes back and says OK I was wrong but that's not good enough, what's going on?

Sorry to hear about funeral OP, whose was it?

FallingWithStyle Mon 30-Aug-10 20:41:26

If OP had just been asking whether it was odd for a stranger to pick up a lrge 10yo, then the reponse would have been different.
It wasnt though, we were asked to decide whether op was ungrateful or bar woman was a loon absed on...well everything the op chose to include.
If the drinking on her part, and everything the barstaff person did apart from the picking up were all irrelevant then unfitmother wouldn't have added them, would she?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now