Talk

Advanced search

to get annoyed when people post queries which can be easily googled?

(43 Posts)
MrsMadWriggle Thu 26-Aug-10 11:20:04

Prime example: someone has just posted "What is the weather forecast for Wales next week?" Do they seriously not know how to look up a weather forecast on line?
Or recently: "what is a skin tag?"

I want to be entertained and informed by chat and opinions, not bored by people who don't know how to use a search engine.

sweetnitanitro Thu 26-Aug-10 11:21:28

You might like this site.

sapphireblue Thu 26-Aug-10 11:23:32

YANBU where the weather forecast is concerned........haven't seen that thread though.

The skin tag thread was in relation to another thread where skin tags were being discussed I think, so possibly not as annoying.

thegoodishlife Thu 26-Aug-10 11:26:39

sweetnitanitro - you beat me to it!

wukter Thu 26-Aug-10 11:28:41

YABU because some people just want to start a conversation, doesn't matter about what.

TrillianAstra Thu 26-Aug-10 11:31:45

What is a skin tag?

notagrannyyet Thu 26-Aug-10 11:32:42

YAB a bit U

Not everyone is confident with computers/internet. They may be new to it all.

Also it is just a way to start a topic sometimes.

MrsMadWriggle Thu 26-Aug-10 11:34:23

trilllian [http://lmgtfy.com/ here]

MrsMadWriggle Thu 26-Aug-10 11:34:41

bugger it here

SalFresco Thu 26-Aug-10 11:44:06

The weather thing is fair enough, I suppose, but YABU generally because googling is just an internet search engine - not Yoda! SOme people are more reassured by the information and experiences of other people - not a load of random websites which can contain innacurate, confusing, or misleading information.

For example, someone on the pregnancy thread once asked about eating Feta. One poster replied with some sarky link which animates a google search for you (is this what the link above is?!) Well, if you actually google feta cheese in pregnancy, you will NOT get a reassuring answer, as you get information from different countries, including those such as the US, and New Zealand where food guidelines are more restrictive. So being a smartarse about it is not helpful; there are plenty of other threads to read.

MaamRuby Thu 26-Aug-10 11:45:03

I think mn is sometimes used to filter lots of crap. On here you generally get quite well informed sensible responses.

I know I have asked for recipes rather Han googling, as it like them tried and tested.

Cannot answer for the weather forecast though!

swanandduck Thu 26-Aug-10 11:45:18

YABU. Just don't read threads that don't interest you.

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Thu 26-Aug-10 11:45:59

<rolls eyes>

MNers are much smarter than Google, did no-one tell you? grin

reallytired Thu 26-Aug-10 11:48:34

99% of threads could be answered just by using a search engine. However the posters are looking for the opinons of other people and a discussion.

There is any amount of conflicting cr@p on the internet and prehaps posters are looking for a discussion on conflicting bits of cr@p.

Anyway mumsnet is more fun than google.

StealthPolarBear Thu 26-Aug-10 11:49:41

I might create a "let me MN that for you" which takes google searches and starts a post on MN. The smart version will know how to get the best reaction / response - mention P&T spaces, fruit shoots or babies in outfits. It will also apply the appropriate smiley

MissWooWoo Thu 26-Aug-10 11:54:41

YABU and a little short sighted, of course things can be googled but where's the fun in that? ... it's nice to have some form of communication with an "outside" world esp, for example, those of us stuck indoors with a streaming cold!

funnily enough MN wasn't set up to serve your needs and your needs alone

Heartsease Thu 26-Aug-10 11:55:04

The MN definition of any given term is by no means the same as Google's.

TrillianAstra Thu 26-Aug-10 11:55:41

MrsWriggle that's not how lmgtfy works
try this

MrsMadWriggle Thu 26-Aug-10 11:58:59

Trillian blush

MrsMadWriggle Thu 26-Aug-10 12:01:31

Just to clarify - I'm not talking about all the "tell me about your experience with ..." or "which ..... should I buy?" threads. That's opinion.

It's the people who post to find out what the rate of VAT is. Where's the fun and meaningful discussion in that?

sorrento56 Thu 26-Aug-10 12:02:11

YABU. I Have posted a query which I then did google but sometimes you want someone with real life experience to talk to about it and sometimes it is nice not to feel alone with a problem.

I have a suggestion for you - hide the thread.

TrillianAstra Thu 26-Aug-10 12:06:42

Now you can be patronising to people with lmgtfy - it's fun! grin

Anniegetyourgun Thu 26-Aug-10 12:09:24

I agree with MrsMadWriggle actually, it is annoying when people just ask for straight facts that they could look up themselves. Let's face it, if they're that helpless online how did they even find Mumsnet, let alone register and work out how to post? (Not that it's exactly complicated, but then neither's Google.) On the other hand, when someone says "I've read up thoroughly on such-and-such, now I'd be interested in your opinions/experiences", they are of course very welcome to the benefit of my uninformed and --narrow-minded-- opinion.

Psammead Thu 26-Aug-10 12:09:35

JFGI.

An acronym which is sorely underused.

Anniegetyourgun Thu 26-Aug-10 12:10:26

Bah, I suspected the hyphen might throw out my striking-out, and so it did angry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now