Talk

Advanced search

they sell golliwogs in the shop at Longleat House.

(600 Posts)
MrsReality Sun 15-Aug-10 10:01:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsReality Sun 15-Aug-10 10:03:49

MrsReality Sun 15-Aug-10 10:04:39

nomorebooze Sun 15-Aug-10 10:04:58

blooming annoying, PC shite, why is this a problem YABU!

katkouta Sun 15-Aug-10 10:06:05

Ah yes, but they are known as Gollies now, so not offensive. wink

nomorebooze Sun 15-Aug-10 10:06:58

Sorry! but i hate all this, like getting rid of big ears in Noddy as people find it offensive, things just go too far! {runs and hides} biscuit

MrsReality Sun 15-Aug-10 10:08:45

QOD Sun 15-Aug-10 10:08:58

They sell them in loads of places round Somersetty way - saw them in the shops in Cheddar Gorge too

EthelredOnAGoodDay Sun 15-Aug-10 10:11:44

They also sell them in lots of traditional toy shops near us (Yorks). Not saying i agree, just saying they are sold all over i think!

antoinettechigur Sun 15-Aug-10 10:14:25

You could always write to them. And also the BBC as they advertise their association due to some tv progamme.

cupcakesandbunting Sun 15-Aug-10 10:15:56

They're everywhere in the antique shops of Worcester hmm My stupid ignorant mother always asks why I'm doing cat's bum mouth about it and she doesn't seem to register that it's because they're racist. Like I always say to her, if you don't think it's racist, go and call a black person a gollyWOG and see what they have to say about it.

And I'm not a PC nutjob, either. They're just a bit wrong.

SloanyPony Sun 15-Aug-10 10:16:43

They are okay if they are not called what you called them though, aren't they? I thought they were called Golly Dollies these days.

As far as our children's generation are concerned, they are just a black dolly. What's wrong with having a black dolly?

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 15-Aug-10 10:18:29

GothAnneGeddes Sun 15-Aug-10 10:21:00

Mrs Reality YANBU! All the anti-pc squad will disagree but you are right.

For the 'pc gorn mad' crew. Golliwogs are offenisve because they are based on crude visual stereotypes of black people which were frequently used in the US especially, to depict black people as less than human.

I know a ton of people will go "rubbish, they're just toys", but Google is your friend and I'm speaking the truth.

GothAnneGeddes Sun 15-Aug-10 10:21:00

Mrs Reality YANBU! All the anti-pc squad will disagree but you are right.

For the 'pc gorn mad' crew. Golliwogs are offenisve because they are based on crude visual stereotypes of black people which were frequently used in the US especially, to depict black people as less than human.

I know a ton of people will go "rubbish, they're just toys", but Google is your friend and I'm speaking the truth.

seeker Sun 15-Aug-10 10:21:42

Absolutely. They are just a black dolly. With caricature big lips, fuzzy hair and called a gollywog. Where's the problem?

They'll be telling us we can't call people "our little paki friend" next.

Oh, and Jeremy Clarkson is always getting teased about his dress sense - that's just the same.

Honestly, people are jsut too sensitive nowadays.

BarmyArmy Sun 15-Aug-10 10:23:28

Hilarious - white liberals wringing their hands in anguish over stuffed toys, competing with one another to be the most offended

Life is too short. You don't like golliwogs? Don't buy one - simples.

cupcakesandbunting Sun 15-Aug-10 10:23:56

"As far as our children's generation are concerned, they are just a black dolly. What's wrong with having a black dolly?"

But they're made to look like minstrels rather than just being a black dolly. Minstrels are a piss-take of african people and their "traits".

cupcakesandbunting Sun 15-Aug-10 10:25:24

"white liberals wringing their hands"

Has this just been copy and pasted from The Sun messageboards? FFS.

antoinettechigur Sun 15-Aug-10 10:26:46

Barmy, I am impressed with your ability to see through t'internet and find out what race posters are. Though I suspect that it isn't 100% accurate. How does it work? Is it an attachment to your computer or a good ol' fashioned crystal ball?

BarmyArmy Sun 15-Aug-10 10:31:53

Am I wrong? Am I?

MinnieMummy Sun 15-Aug-10 10:35:03

They sell them in the posh tourist / expensive teddy bear shop near us (home counties so predominantly white and Tory) too. Makes me sigh/shudder whenever I see them, but I seem to remember a recent-ish case being thrown out/ not prosecuted so I think the DM general consensus is that it's now 'ok' to sell them.

ROFL at 'Google is your friend'

sunfunandmum Sun 15-Aug-10 10:35:12

this might be completely irrelevant, but why are they sold in touristy, heritagey places? I heard they are not sold in big name toy shops.

SalFresco Sun 15-Aug-10 10:37:37

I did google gollies. Apparently invented by an English woman, based on minstrel shows, and used as a character in books for children which also featured "Two Dutch Dolls"

I don't know what to take from this though. Presumably the anser is not that they were created as hateful characiture, nor innocent , non-stereotyping depiction but somewhere in the middle. And the middle is a horrible, uncertain place to be!

Can safely say no-oneshould be using the term "golliwog" though.

SalFresco Sun 15-Aug-10 10:38:18

answer grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: