Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

goats milk with cereal?

(5 Posts)
mollymalloo Wed 10-Aug-05 12:21:18

ds is 9months and has goats milk formula. i make up a couple of oz to go with his breakfast cereal but wandered if this could be replaced with straight goats milk from a carton. does anyone know?

Nightynight Wed 10-Aug-05 12:26:47

I was giving my children goats milk from the carton at this age. It is more digestible than cows milk. I think it is OK if it is not their main drink.

RosiePosie Wed 10-Aug-05 12:40:54

my dd was having a couple of bottles of goats milk formula a day until 9 months ( also breastfed ). I changed over to normal goat's milk to drink as well as in food, at this age. As nightynight says, goats milk is more digestable than cows milk. In fact, in the past, many babies were given goats milk to drink from a very young age if they were cows milk intolerent. I think goat's milk is magical stuff - obviously a totally different composition to cows milk, and so much more compatible with humans!

mollymalloo Thu 11-Aug-05 08:29:54

thats really useful to know. i guess im a bit confused as hv gave me a leaflet saying that goats milk isnt suitable for babies at all (but i just knew that that had to be rubbish!) this is the same hv who has been recomending a particular brand of sugar and additive filled yogurt as a suitable pudding!

Nightynight Thu 11-Aug-05 09:12:22

goats milk is low in folic acid, and I think for this reason health professionals are sometimes against it.
a healthy diet should provide enough folic acid though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: