Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oranges and satsumas

(6 Posts)
janx Sun 07-Aug-05 22:32:33

My dd is 11 months and has a rash on her elbow and behind her knees - I thought it was heat rash, but am now wondering whether is from oranges? I don't have any knowledge of allergies and am not allergic to anything myself - any ideas? could it be oranges - she hardly ever has them, but I she did have quite a few satsumas recently and that is when I have noticed it

hunkermunker Sun 07-Aug-05 22:34:55

Citrus is a known allergen - try giving her grapes or raspberries instead and see if it clears up.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sun 07-Aug-05 22:34:57

We think Jess is allergic to Mandarins and Peaches - both of which has caused blistering rash and upset tummy. It is possible. Jess is 12 months old, and i think its something to do with the acid that they just cant cope with it so young.

Give oranges a wide berth for a few weeks.... when all cleared up, try again and see.

NannyL Mon 08-Aug-05 16:58:38

coulw well be... its not uncommon to be allergic to citrus which is why babies shouldnt be ontrodeced to these fruits until after they are 'allowed' most other fruits / veg etc!

Most rfuit veg are fine from 4 months... (but citrus not until 8 montsh ish)

obv fine to give to an 11 month old (not having a go at you, promise!)

just that it may well be...

agree with others... avoid for quite a while then maybe give 1 segnemt of satsuma and see what happens.... if a reaction leave even longer before you try again.... may grow out of an allergy

janx Tue 09-Aug-05 08:01:24

Thanks everyone - am steering clear of citrus

jenk1 Tue 09-Aug-05 16:49:50

my dd is allergic to citrus fruits and tomatos which are the same group according to her dietitician, she has not had them for about 6 months and we are waiting another 6 months before trying them again
hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now