Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Where do I start?

(10 Posts)
Elvis Tue 02-Aug-05 12:43:23

My 17 month old ds3 woke up yesterday with hot red blotches all over him. He is well in himself.

The GP was really good, but to my surprise said it was an allergic reaction to something he had ingested. If he got any worse I was to take him straight to A&E.

I gave him piriton as prescribed and it gradually faded over the day. However, he woke up covered in the same rash again today.

Where do I start with finding out what is causing this? The GP is refering us for allergy tests. There is no family history of any allergies at all. No doubt the referal will take months, I don't know what to do in the mean time.

Christie Tue 02-Aug-05 13:40:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Elvis Tue 02-Aug-05 20:59:16

i haven't changed any washing powder. WHat worries me is that the GP said it's something that he ingested rather than something in contact with his skin. SHe was quite specific about it.
Do I start watching what I feed him and if so where to start?

morningpaper Tue 02-Aug-05 21:06:19

I'd start keeping a food diary.

Eaney Tue 02-Aug-05 21:11:44

What is he consuming just before bed? Have you changed your washing up liquid?

Are the blotches itchy and do they have a white lump in the centre?

Elvis Wed 03-Aug-05 11:43:36

He has a beaker of milk before he goes to bed. No, I haven't changed my washing up liquid. There are raised, white areas and some of these areas are quite large. Although it's hot, the red areas don't seem itchy.

Any ideas Eaney?

mandyc66 Wed 03-Aug-05 12:03:28

you need to make a food diary!
Think of everything new he has eaten or comeinto contact with. Write it all down and see if there is one common thing.

mandyc66 Wed 03-Aug-05 12:04:43

my friend had this and gp said it was an allergy took weeks to finally go. new lumps came every day, she thought it was chicken tikka!!!

Eaney Wed 03-Aug-05 18:28:02

The white raised areas are probably 'hives'or Urticaria and are a common reaction after injesting an allergen. They may have reappeared because the antihistamine wore off. When you give him the beaker of milk at night wait 20 mins and observe for any reaction.

IT'S not unusual to develop an allergy to something you had previously been fine with. The thing to watch out for is any swelling of the lips or tounge this is when it is getting serious. Piriton can still resolve this but you may need stronger medication. If I were you I would continue with the Piriton every 4 hours and go back to GP.

bobbybob Thu 04-Aug-05 02:56:25

Elvis - it could be a couple of things together - sort of a chain reaction. I have no idea how the GP could tell the difference between an ingested allergy and an environmental allergy TBH.

Doesn't matter if you haven't changed your washing powder - you can develop allergies at any time, even to stuff you have been fine with.

Could be one of the foods you give him has changed formulation, a new ingredient or additive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now