Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

"milks" to try a 22 month old milk intolerant on

(10 Posts)
sparklystar Tue 27-Apr-10 17:03:41

Hi

DD is milk intolerant and currently on Pepti formula milk, been told when she is. 2 this will no longer be prescribed so it was recommended I try her on other millks I.e soya,oatley and lactofree.

We have tried soya - refuses to drink, same with oatley.

Lactofree only comes in semi skimmed near me which i'm not sure about giving her.

Anyone got any suggestions please ?

Or has anyone had any success with goats milk ?

Thanks

simpson Tue 27-Apr-10 17:23:37

you can try rice milk, think its very sweet tasting though.

Have not tasted or used it myself (or on DD) tbh.

I would query the prescription thing though as DD (2.3) is still getting neocate on prescription and is likely to for the foreseeable future.

BertieBotts Tue 27-Apr-10 17:26:33

My friend's DS would never drink cow's milk or normal formula at all and it seemed to bring him out in a mild rash, (they never looked into this since he wouldn't drink it anyway) but he loves goat's milk.

simpson Tue 27-Apr-10 17:31:52

personally if you need to change her milk I would do it slowly ie mixing less and less of her pepti mixed with the milk you choose and hope she does not notice the change so much.

Apologies if you have already tried this!! grin grin

trixymalixy Mon 11-Jul-11 20:18:45

Rice milk is a big no no, too much arsenic in it for toddlers.

DS drinks Oatly, I would suggest mixing it with his formula milk until he gets used to it.

garliclover Tue 12-Jul-11 11:18:14

How about trying Kara dairy free, which is fortified with calcium?

freefrommum Tue 12-Jul-11 18:10:00

I would also question the reasoning behind withdrawing the prescription at 2. My DS is 4 and still prescribed Neocate on the recommendation of his dietician who said it was best to stay on that until he's 5 to make sure he gets enough calcium etc. I think your GP/doctor is trying to save money at the expense of your little one - don't stand for it! grin Funny how you get used to having to fight tooth and nail for your child when they've got medical issues!

If and when you do have to switch milks, I wouldn't try goat's milk as it is too close to cow's milk and therefore likely to cause a similar reaction and rice milk is indeed too high in arsenic so would recommend Oatly introduced gradually as trixy says.

Benjie1 Fri 15-Jul-11 09:59:20

Goat's milk is one option you could try. The protien make up is totally different to that of Cow's, which makes it easier to digest and less iritable for the consumer. You can buy it in Asda etc and it will help various problems- From a runny nose to a bad tummy. Let me know how you get on.

nellymoo Fri 15-Jul-11 10:09:18

Goat's milk is NOT totally different to that of Cow. In fact, the proteins are very similar, and it is not recommended.

freefrommum Fri 15-Jul-11 10:55:53

Quite right nellymoo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now