Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hydrocortisone cream-how much to use

(5 Posts)
jenk1 Tue 26-Jul-05 14:07:26

my dd uses 1% hydrocortisone cream, im not sure how often to use it, the gp said up to 7 days and if and when, it doesnt seem to be very strong though,i am just worried cos i have heard if it is used for a long time damage can happen to the skin.
can anyone advise?

sparklymieow Tue 26-Jul-05 14:16:25

Just a small amount, I use it for my dd2's ezcema and only when its infected. It can make the skin thin if used over a long time

gingernut Tue 26-Jul-05 14:21:43

There is a general rule about how much steroid cream to apply which uses `fingertip units', i.e. the amount of cream you get when you squeeze the cream out along the finger from the tip to the first joint. Have a look here for a table which shows you how much of a hydrocoortisone-containing cream you should apply (don't be put off by the fact this cream also contains an antibiotic, the fingertip stuff applies to the steroid content). Look in the table below the first diagram for the amount to give to children. The fingertip untis are still adult-sized ones though, IYSWIM!

If you find the cream isn't doing the trick I would go back to the doctor for advice.

HTH.

bobbybob Wed 27-Jul-05 05:46:54

If it's not working you need something stronger to get it under control and then you need to phase it out by going to HC cream and then less regularly and finally not at all.

More damage is done to skin from infected and scratched skin than the HC. You do want periods when you don't use anything at all, and to do this you have to get it under control.

KBear Wed 27-Jul-05 07:31:25

I asked my doc about my concerns about 1% hydrocortisone - he said it was a very low dose and not to worry about using it but to use it sparingly.

As Bobbybob also said, the situation needs to be under control before you can wean off the cream and use Diprobase or other emolient to keep the skin soft.

good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now