Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

help baby with severe reaction to egg need advice on what else to avoid

(13 Posts)
donnacb Tue 19-Jul-05 22:45:20

Hi not sure if my thread went through so trying again. My ds Has ? a dairy allergy comes out in a rash but on sat tried tiniest bit of egg and started swelling up and wheels and a rash luckily no breathing probs. But not sure what else to avoid now. Havent tried fish yet. He has had pasta and no flair up. Any advice would be greatfully recieved dont want to through that again. Poor boy has only just started eating again

Chandra Tue 19-Jul-05 22:55:42

How old is he?

hunkermunker Tue 19-Jul-05 22:56:52

Egg white in particular is very allergenic and shouldn't be given to a baby under a year. Not sure if there are any other things that are definitely to be avoided because of an allergy to egg though.

donnacb Tue 19-Jul-05 22:57:13

Hes 8 months but was 7 weeks early. advised by dietician to wean early ie 4 months.

donnacb Tue 19-Jul-05 22:58:53

it was french toast he tried. i have egg and dairy intolernce now. V allergic with milk until i was 11. fine now.

sparklymieow Tue 19-Jul-05 23:05:52

when he is due his MMR make sure the HV is aware he has an egg allergy. You may have to have it at the hospital.

Chandra Tue 19-Jul-05 23:07:33

From the top of my head:

No glutten before six months
No egg before a year
No nuts before 3 yrs old, or five if there are allergies in the family
No orange juice in early stages of weaning
No cow's milk during the first year.

Having said that if he has had allergic reaction I would even delay the introduction of those foods beyond the guidelines suggestions.

Fish is also very allergenic, probably good to avoid in the early stages of weaning. BTW, I believe the guidelines now specify that is better to wait until the baby is 6m old before attempting weaning.

Chandra Tue 19-Jul-05 23:09:00

PS. Though a couple of years ago it was recommended between 4-6 m old..

Have you talked about this to your doctor?

bobbybob Tue 19-Jul-05 23:20:37

No fish until 2
No egg until he is 2 (don't keep trying next time could be really nasty)
No kiwi fruit, tomatos, citrus until the season after he is 1 yo
No peanuts until 5

donnacb Wed 20-Jul-05 07:42:59

Thanks everyone. have already tried him on blueberries srawberrys and rasperries no reaction luckily. Will avoid fish. Havent had chance to speak to dr. Ill try and ring dietician this am. See if we can get some allergy testing or something. Isnt it a pain to have an allergic child. Feel sorry for my mum now. Alot of checking. if people have any recipes to get more fat into him. please post. my froiends use cheese and yoghurt lucky things.
thanks again donna

kama Wed 20-Jul-05 08:24:11

Message withdrawn

Blondeinlondon Wed 20-Jul-05 08:25:14

These might be some use
kellymom stuff

list of what foods to give and when from a book on food allergies
sequence of adding foods

donnacb Wed 20-Jul-05 09:23:28

Thanks blondeinlondon. they are really good websites. Will have a proper look later. I suppose developmentally ds was about 2 months when weaned but only had baby rice and breast milk for 1st month. It didnt seem to do him any harm and he quite liked it. Its what our dietician said to do for premies to help them gain weight etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: