Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

antibiotics-help please

(14 Posts)
jollymum Tue 19-Jul-05 20:06:46

baby 10m allergic to eurymythcin, penicillin, etc etc. help needed for tonsillitis and sicky bug. urgent!!!

WigWamBam Tue 19-Jul-05 20:07:48

See the GP and see what else they can recommend?

jollymum Tue 19-Jul-05 20:09:07

told her to go home and fight the infection out on their own

jollymum Tue 19-Jul-05 20:11:16

bumpity bump bump

Tissy Tue 19-Jul-05 20:13:21

GP's probably right that it's a virus, why do you think that antibiotics will make a difference? Choice of antibiotic difficult if baby is truly allergic to penicillin and erythromycin. probably would need a throat swab to get it right.

marne Tue 19-Jul-05 20:14:11

sory no advice apart from calpol lots of water if she will drink it, hope she gets beter soon.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 19-Jul-05 20:14:17

ok, so popsicles made of chamomile tea as will be cooling...lots and lots and lots of water if you can get her to have it, can they have painkillers at 10 months?

also, go down some alternative routes, maybe try and see a homeopath, just to see if they can get it to go more quickly...

this must be awful for you, and your baby, i do feel for you...

jollymum Tue 19-Jul-05 20:16:26

been throwing up for a week, not sleeping etc not eating, little sleeping, very miserable, throat swab not done at docs, why not?!

Tissy Tue 19-Jul-05 20:18:37

if it's been going on a week, I'd go back to GP (or maybe a different partner in the practice)and ask if a throat swab could be done.

What exactly do penicillin and erythromycin do to ds? Erthromycin allergy is pretty rare.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 19-Jul-05 20:18:53

if it's viral, antibiotics wouldn't work anyway???? maybe that's why?

home made chicken broth...sorry i know i'm sounding pathetic, but just trying to say what i would do other than climb the walls...

YeahBut Wed 20-Jul-05 19:05:38

If you're not getting any joy from your GP and you think she's getting worse rather than better, take her to your local A&E department. If you have a children's hospital locally with an A&E, even better.

tatt Thu 21-Jul-05 10:09:22

try some live yoghurt to help with the sickness, can't suggest anything for tonsilitis but surely there must be some other antibiotics? They should do a swab to check what the bacteria are.

bobbybob Fri 22-Jul-05 06:23:20

Probiotics will help the sickiness, they are in yoghurt but you could do with a larger dose by using the powder you can get from health food shop.

If she does need antibiotics having strengthened her gut with probiotics will help enormously.

In what way is she allergic?

blondehelen Fri 22-Jul-05 06:41:54

my dd was very sick with tonsilitis 2 weeks ago, and I was giving her ice poles and icecream. Also calpol and kids ibuprofen but I think your dd might be too young. Can you see if there are any white spots on her tonsils. It will give idea of whether bacterial or viral. (ie white spots more likely to need antibiotics.) My dd illness went on for 10days so think there is a nasty bug in the air. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now