Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sheeps milk - worse or better than goats milk? and a rice milk question too!

(14 Posts)
Laura032004 Tue 19-Jul-05 11:17:28

My ds (15m) can't have cows milk as milk, but can have live cows milk yoghurt and goats milk milk and cheese.

However, we're on holiday at the moment, and I'm trying to find alternatives. We've found a cheese(feta) that is sheeps and goats milk. Would this be better than cows milk cheese? (which I seem to remember he wasn't 100% OK with)

We've also found cows milk butter with lactic acid bacteria - is this the butter equiv of live yoghurt?

Help please if you know anything about this, or ds will have a boring diet for the next few weeks!

Also, we normally have light blue (original?) rice dream when no goats milk available, but here they have dark blue (brown rice and added calcium). Has anybody tried this? Is it much different to the original?

Thanks

Nightynight Tue 19-Jul-05 12:01:54

hi Laura,
as far as I know, sheeps milk is easier to digest than goats milk. I am milk intolerant, and I am fine with both sheeps and goats milk. But I think it depends on the individual person. I d try it, because you have a good chance that it will be absolutely fine.

Nightynight Tue 19-Jul-05 12:02:32

dont know about the butter or rice dream Im afraid!

spidermama Tue 19-Jul-05 12:05:25

I love the sound of brown Rice Dream. I wonder if it's available here? If anything it's bound to be better for you than the white stuff. Brown rice, like wholemeal bread, is the non-refined version of rice with all the goodness left in.

Laura032004 Tue 19-Jul-05 13:00:27

Thanks for those replies, we'll try the cheese and milk then, and hope somebody has an answer for the butter!

bee3 Tue 19-Jul-05 13:03:52

Can I just interrupt this thread and say helllooooo! We miss you and enjoy sunny Cyprus

Laura032004 Tue 19-Jul-05 13:30:15

Hia Bee3 - we're missing you too! DS isn't liking paddling anywhere near as much by himself!

Papillon Tue 19-Jul-05 14:02:12

Rice Dream availability round the world

I like Rice dream milk... the almond one is yummy as is the brown rice with calcium.

I had the owner of a health shop tell that sheeps milk is one of the closer milks to human breast milk... perhaps nutrition wise.

tatt Thu 21-Jul-05 09:51:03

Hi laura If he has goats milk without problem he may be Ok with sheeps milk too. Like goats milk its slightly less allergenic. Yes the butter is the butter equivalent of live yoghurt, live yoghurt has healthy bacteria. Its always better to have rice milk with added calcium as rice milk isn't very nutritious.

Can you buy lactase where you are? Look for it in health food stores. We haven't found it much use personally but then any trace of goats or cows milk is a problem for us - it may help if the problem is less severe. The bacteria in live yoghurt break down lactose and so does lactase.

Laura032004 Sat 23-Jul-05 20:48:53

Well, as an update, ds has had sheep's / goat's milk cheese, cow's milk butter with lactic acid and the rice dream milk. We also found (amazing what you find in the places you least expect it!) lactose free (well nearly!) fresh cows milk.

However, something out of all this lot is giving him diahorrea. Before we worked out that he wasn't tolerating milk / gluten he was quite sicky, had terrible nappies and was awake all night with terrible stomach aches. Now the only thing we're getting is this diahorrea, and he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. Do you think I should stop giving him these foods, and try and work out which one isn't right for him, or is diahorrea not the end of the world?

Just for a bit of TMI, it's not that he's pooing all the time, just that when he has his normal bowel movements, they're not solid like they are normally. Could this be because it's so hot here (we're in Cyprus, normally live in UK) that he's drinking about 8 times more than usual? He doesn't seem to be weeing much more though.

Sorry for the 100 questions - I might repost this as a new subject. Thanks

Laura032004 Sat 23-Jul-05 20:50:20

Sorry, one more thing. Thanks for the recommendation of lactase Tatt. How does it work? Is it a powder / drink?? Thanks

tatt Sun 24-Jul-05 06:42:39

we have tablets (taken with the product containing milk) because that's all the shop had but I've read of a powder added to milk. As we don't get good adbvice from our doctor we have to do trial and error so its still possible a larger dose or different preparation (bottle was in date but had dust on it ) might help us, its just if it fails its not pleasant so we've only tried one dose so far.

tatt Sun 24-Jul-05 06:44:14

more info on lactase

http://www.numarkpharmacists.com/hn/Supp/Lactase.htm

Laura032004 Mon 25-Jul-05 12:08:54

Thanks for that info Tatt. We'll definitely try that when we return to the UK. I suspect that ds's intolerance is mild, so fingers crossed that might enable him to have cows milk. Not so worried about milk, we can quite easily get goats milk, but it would be nice if he could have the odd milk containing product

I'm hoping that his milk intolerance might have been triggered by a very severe initial reaction to gluten, so he might grow out of it soon.

It is disconcerting when you buy things that have dust on them isn't it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now