Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know of veggie sausages without...

(17 Posts)
Blu Tue 12-Jul-05 16:04:23

egg products, nuts, peas or chick peas?

Thank you - am planning DS's party food around a range of guests!

QueenEagle Tue 12-Jul-05 17:00:58

Have you tried Cauldren organic ones?

I have just looked at the Linda McCartney ones in the freezer and I think they are free of the things you said about. I use these and chop them into cocktail size portions.

WigWamBam Tue 12-Jul-05 17:03:10

Linda McCartney sausages contain pea and wheat protein - ingredients list here

tatt Wed 13-Jul-05 06:55:19

maybe this one? If you haven't time to order from the site it is still is useful in deciding what to look for at your local health food store http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/277801.html

SoupDragon Wed 13-Jul-05 07:58:46

Cauldron veggie lincolnshire sausages contain Organic egg albumen.

Also have hydrogenated vegetable oil and hydrolysed vegetable protein. Not sure what's covered by the word "vegetable".

popsycal Wed 13-Jul-05 09:00:59

I will ask my vegan sis....

tatt Wed 13-Jul-05 13:15:43

make your own with the veggie kit here? http://www.sausagemaking.co.uk/sausagekits.php

Anaphylaxis campaign has warned in the past that HVP can sometimes be contaminated with peanut. Might explain why sausages sometimes produce mini reactions for us.

Blu Wed 13-Jul-05 18:30:21

Hmmmm.
One little girl is epi-pen level allergic to the items below, but east meat. Another couple are veggie.

For simplicity as well as maximum acceptability to the 4 year-old sensibility, my idea was to do mini homemade organic burgers, maybe good sausages, and veggie sausages - but don't want to risk including any of the 'banned' foods anywhere in the menu. All the veggie burgers I know of have pulses that i think she can't eat. Anyone know of an egg-free fritter recipe? I could make sweetcorn fritters.

Or I can feel pizza edging on to the menu!

Maybe I will do

WigWamBam Wed 13-Jul-05 19:00:12

I have a recipe for bean burgers which uses kidney beans, and another one for falafel which uses broad beans instead of chickpeas, if they would be any use to you.

Blu Thu 14-Jul-05 14:07:22

Ooh, than you, WWB - i will check. i know some kinds of beand are ok - the sort in baked beans - so I suppose I could use thjose.

Could you post your recipe?
Thank you! (hurray for MN!)

WigWamBam Thu 14-Jul-05 14:19:30

Each recipe serves 2 for a main meal, adjust the quantities and sizes to suit your needs.

Big_Beany_Burgers

2 teaspoons oil
1 small onion
1 small garlic clove, crushed
I teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
10oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
A little flour

(you can omit the spices if you prefer; still tastes good. And you could use any other sort of bean - I used borlotti beans once and they were delicious)

Heat half of the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until lightly browned. Add the spices and cook for 1 minute.

Drain and rinse the beans, add to the onion mixture, and mash (or blitz briefly in a food processor). Divide the mixture in half, shape each half into a burger shape using floured hands.

Fry the burgers in the remaining oil for 3 - 4 mins each side, or until browned.

Broad_Bean_and_Feta_Falafel

5oz broad beans (fresh or frozen, the younger and smaller, the better)
Half an onion, roughly chopped
Half a teaspoon ground cumin
Teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
2oz feta cheese, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons oil

Add the broad beans to a pan of boiling water, bring back to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes; drain.

Put the beans into a food processor with the onion, spices, parsley and feta, and process until finely chopped (or finely chop all the ingredients by hand and mix in a bowl).

Divide the mixture into 6 portions then press into small oval patties with floured hands. Hat the oil in a frying pan and fry the falafel for about 5 minutes, turning several times, until golden.

Serve in mini pitta breads with salad and a little plain yoghurt if liked.

Blu Thu 14-Jul-05 14:41:25

Brilliant!

many thanks WWB, just what I needed - and they all sound delicious.

That's a weight off my mind!

Blu Thu 14-Jul-05 14:43:43

I'm going to serve them up as WigWamBurgers in your honour!

spidermama Thu 14-Jul-05 14:44:04

What a fab host you are Blu. I hope they appreciate your efforts.

ruty Thu 14-Jul-05 17:41:07

on the same subject, does anyone know any gluten free dairy free veggie sausages? Tall order i know...

ruty Thu 14-Jul-05 17:42:15

i'm not a very good cook so making burgers is a HUGE challenge

WigWamBam Thu 14-Jul-05 19:59:17

WigWamBurgers

They'll think you're mad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now