Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cheap washing powders that are skin friendly?

(18 Posts)
GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 19:58:47

Desperately needing to save money at the moment and was thinking about switching to own brand powder for the wash instead of liquid. Was wondering if anyone had tried Tesco or Sainsbury own brand and if that was okay for skin (currently use Sainsbury perform & protect liquid and fabric softener - but they've stopped stocking the fabric softener here so I'm due for a change anyway grumble)

Skin in our house is just "sensitive" rather than eczema but obviously we want to be comfortable! Ideas?

nannyjo Wed 06-Jul-05 20:01:55

we use asda's fabric conditioner, it is lovely.

simone131182 Wed 06-Jul-05 20:29:25

hi my dd has severe exzema and i can happily use tesco own non bio and sainsburys blue softner and her skin is fine x

starrynight Wed 06-Jul-05 20:42:29

We use asda washing powder and no fabric conditioner. DDs eczema is terrible with anything else.

starrynight Wed 06-Jul-05 20:42:53

Oh yes, the non-bio one (33% extra free at the mo!)

simone131182 Wed 06-Jul-05 20:44:21

i think unfortunately its all trial and error to see which goes best with ur families skin as we all have different skin x x

GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 20:48:25

Good point simone - am going to have to do a bit of trial and error, aren't I

Still, it's reassuring to know that own brand non bio can be okay - thanks for that

GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 20:48:51

(the thanks was to all of you, btw, not just simone - bad wording, sorry!)

Furball Wed 06-Jul-05 20:48:55

Ds's and dh's skin is sensitive, won't go into where the rash appeared on dh when I changed to Persil with Aloe Vera!!!! Anyway, I use Sainsburys own non bio tabs no probs (I only use 1 per wash). I used to use the perform and protect but had to change when they stopped making it.

KBear Wed 06-Jul-05 20:49:50

we're all a bit sensitive in our house and I use Morrison's or ASDA's own brand powder and fabric softener - I can't see how it can be any different and would love someone to explain the difference in ingredients to me!

GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 20:51:49

Funnily enough, furball - we reacted badly to Persil Aloe Vera too! Isn't that stuff supposed to be kinder, lol.

simone131182 Wed 06-Jul-05 21:06:45

i found that with persil aloe vera too and the same with the washing up liquid that makes my hands dry crack and bleed wouldnt recomend it to anybody x x

spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 21:08:28

Has anyone tried these washing balls you get in health food shops? They'd work out cheaper in the end but do they really work?

simone131182 Wed 06-Jul-05 21:11:09

cant say i have ever heard of those but if they work out cheaper in the long run then maybe it would be worth it if anybody tries them please let me know how u get on x x

lou33 Wed 06-Jul-05 21:16:36

i use fairy, but filetti is good as well.

not sure if it is cheap or not tho

simone131182 Wed 06-Jul-05 21:20:51

i have also heard that boot sensative range are fantastic the washing up liquid is fab not tried thte w/p though x x

suzi2 Sun 10-Jul-05 18:55:14

I've just got the washing balls! From www.ecozone.com. They do about 1000 washes for £35. I was cynical but they have washed as well as Persil non-bio and better than Surcare. They have failed to get stubborn mud and tomato sauce - but so have the other washing liquids! The stain remover that comes with them is good.

You don't get a nice smell - just a nothing smell. But DH & I have found our clothes less itchy and hopefully our baby due in August will appreciate them.

nutcracker Sun 10-Jul-05 19:23:24

I use Tesco non bio and it's great, nice smell too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now