Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hayfever medication while pregnant

(9 Posts)
Fonzie Mon 04-Jul-05 10:42:35

Wondered if anyone knew of anything I can take for hayfever; I am 12 weeks pg and really struggling. Midwife recommended Piriton but it doesn't realy seem to be doing anything. Any advice would be gratefully received.

giraffeski Mon 04-Jul-05 10:48:19

Message withdrawn

franch Mon 04-Jul-05 17:39:02

I'm 31 weeks. GP gave me a nasal spray and eye drops which are good. He advised against taking anything internally. HTH

SofiaAmes Tue 05-Jul-05 06:59:02

My hayfever and asthma went nuts during both my pregnancies and both my gp in england and my doctor in the usa were adamant that it was more important that I treat the hayfever/asthma and avoid the stress on the heart and oxygen deprivation than to try to remain drug free. I was prescribed claritin for the hayfever in both countries. It worked relatively well.

Tissy Tue 05-Jul-05 09:02:54

Beconase (or similar) nasal spray, and Opticrom (or similar) eye drops. Both work just where they are sprayed, so don't harm the baby. You can buy them over the counter in a chemists- speak to the pharmacist. You do have to remember to take them regularly, though.

expatinscotland Tue 05-Jul-05 09:28:28

I hear ya! I've had a horrible attack since Saturday. Last night woke up at 2.30AM gasping for breath. Took till 3.30 to get back sleep. Think I'm going to pop a Claritin just so I can see again - my eyes are scratchy and blurry from irritation.

I really hate Spring and Summer.

munz Sat 09-Jul-05 13:00:26

just went to my dr's on friday bout mine, he gave me a nasal spray and drop, and said not to take tablets as althou not proven theres significant scientific reserce/evidence it could be harm ful to baby.

(as he's normally a fance sitter who won't go with anyhting unless it's been proven medically I thought i'd heed his advice.)

SofiaAmes Sun 10-Jul-05 21:40:17

I think your gp is out of date on his research. I copied this from the us CDC website:

Fact Sheet

March 19, 2004 Contact: CDC Division of Media Relations
(404) 639-3286
Loratadine and Hypospadias
Data from the National Birth Defects Prevention Study

MMWR Article

The MMWR article showed no association between use of loratadine in early pregnancy and the occurrence of the birth defect hypospadias. The article was in response to a public health concern, raised by a scientific study showing a possible association between the drug loratadine, also sold under the brand name Claritin®, and hypospadias. Because loratadine is commonly used by reproductive-aged women, inadvertent exposures would be expected to occur among women who do not yet realize they are pregnant.

There also seems to be evidence that serious asthma/breathing problems can be harmful to your baby.

spidermama Sun 10-Jul-05 21:44:17

I can vouch for vaseline in the nose. Keep it with you and re-apply. No use for the eyes though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now