Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what would you do?

(11 Posts)
pleaserewind Sun 19-Jun-05 10:22:34

ds2 is 6 and suffers really really badly with hayfever, posted the other day about his eyes.
NOTHING seems to make more than a little bit of a difference except for piriton and we have tried everything!
dilemma is that piriton makes him itch and affects his concentration (didn't beleive it until i read the side effects on bottle) so does he suffer bad hayfever or itchy skin reaction to the piriton.
help! I can't sleep for worrying what i should do with him. He keeps on getting sent home from school too

beetroot Sun 19-Jun-05 10:24:00

Message withdrawn

mandyc66 Sun 19-Jun-05 10:39:36

has the dr prescribed piriton?
I am sure there are other ant hystamenes out there?
Maybe even get eye drops
My son has eyedrops,tablets and nasal spray

pleaserewind Sun 19-Jun-05 11:05:02

what type of tablets, drops and spray does your son use mandyc66?
my son uses sodium cromclycate eyedrops aswell.

mandyc66 Sun 19-Jun-05 11:09:49

errmm...not sure what they are!!!!
Does that make me a bad mum!!!!
He is 14 though. We just go to gps and ds uses them as and when he needs them
Sorry!!!!

mandyc66 Mon 20-Jun-05 12:38:58

off to gps on wed to get this years supply!!!

bobbybob Tue 21-Jun-05 03:41:25

Is he having the liquid or tablet - ds has Zyrtec but has to have tablets crushed up as he is manic on the liquid. Oh, I've just reread your post and you say bottle. I would try the tablets crushed up then because the preservatives in the liquid are possibly the ones causing the itchyness and poor concentration.

kcemum Tue 21-Jun-05 09:44:48

Has he tried clarityn syrup? my daughter can not have piriton as it doesn't seem to be strong enough but seems to be better controlled on clarityn.

foxinsocks Tue 21-Jun-05 09:52:24

have you tried Benadryl syrup? That's cetirizine (the antihistamine) and I often find that one works really well (though I think that's the one that can make you drowsy).

Does he have a specific time of day when his symptoms are really bad?

It's definitely worth trying a few antihistamines. I have tried 3 or 4 in the last couple of weeks and some have been useless and some have been good.

foxinsocks Tue 21-Jun-05 09:53:53

and if he's being sent home from school often, I would definitely go to the GP

mandyc66 Tue 21-Jun-05 20:25:20

think you should goto gp anyway. For a start it wont cost you!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now