Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Woke up at midnight with allergic reaction to something? 31 wks pg too!

(9 Posts)
CantThinkofFunnyName Wed 11-Nov-09 01:28:06

I am an allergic sort and have asthma, usual allergies of pollen, dust mites and a rather serious co-consumption anaph. reaction to seafood and alcohol. But I was fast asleep tonight and woke up with the most awful itching of my hands. You know the type when it is deep inside allergic type reaction? Then my stomach (inside) started itching - which is how I usually start off after eating seafood and drinking alcohol together.#

About 30 minutes prior to this I had had a swig of Gaviscon from the bottle (31 wks pg so heartburn) but this bottle is almost finished, no other symptoms before.

The only other thought is that I treated myself hmm to a shandy tonight, homemade ie a little lager and lemonade. But it really was hours ago. Anyway... I ended up having to get up because the itchy reaction was spreading through my body and I've taken some piriton syrup. The itching is now subsiding. But how odd? To be woken with this when the only thing that passed my lips was a tiny swig of Gaviscon (and water) that I've been taking for months...

Also - not sure that Piriton is a good idea in pg, but tbh, I figured reward outweighed the risk!

Any ideas?

CantThinkofFunnyName Wed 11-Nov-09 01:37:12

10 mins later and I can safely say that the itching and inside burning has now gone, so MUST have been an allergic reaction to something, most likely whatever is in the bottom of bottle of Gaviscon. How very very bizarre.

I wonder how I'm going to find out what that allergy is?

TanteRose Wed 11-Nov-09 02:13:33

hope you are OK now - no real idea on allergies, but if you are pregnant, your body is changing so much, it may well react more aggressively to something than if you were not growing another human being inside you!

Hope you can get back to sleep now smile

CantThinkofFunnyName Wed 11-Nov-09 07:51:02

Thanks smile! Yes, I got back to sleep beautifully afterwards - the wonders of drowsy piriton!! No itching this morning but feel like i have a bit of a puffy face. All a bit odd really.

EccentricaGallumbits Wed 11-Nov-09 07:53:56

mention it to your midwife - itchy hands at night is a symptom of obstetric cholestasis.
although being an allergic sort and knowing what your normal allergy reaction is you are better placed to know if it is 'norma' itchy or abnormal itchy.

Laugs Wed 11-Nov-09 08:16:42

Just to let you know that Piriton syrup is ok in pregnancy (they don't recommend the one-a-day tablet) so don't worry on that front!

CantThinkofFunnyName Wed 11-Nov-09 10:17:53

Ah - thanks Laugs re the Piriton comment. I was a bit concerned, but figured that the reward outweighed the risk last night - I didn't want whatever it was turning anaphalyxis.

Eccentrica - I was wondering about the cholestasis but tbh it was such a classic allergy reaction that I got rid of that thought pretty quickly - especially when it all disappeared within 10 mins of taking piriton.

tinytalker Wed 11-Nov-09 21:31:15

Please do get checked out! Itchy palms and soles of the feet is a classic warning sign of cholestasis. The Piriton might have just masked the symptoms, better to be safe........

CantThinkofFunnyName Wed 11-Nov-09 21:49:52

Was whisked off to the Maternity Day Unit today on mw instructions. Bloods taken but no results as yet. Have to go back at 9.30am tomorrow for doctor consultation! Still sure it was allergic.... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now