Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

RAST test results tomorrow - what to expect...

(10 Posts)
mamaoftwo Thu 16-Jun-05 20:13:59

Hi I'm getting the RAST test results tomorrow for my son. (Tested for reaction to milk, egg, wheat, gluten, soya.) I'm expecting them to give a result of how bad each reaction is. the plan is then to try to reintroduce the least reactive food group.

anyone had this done who can offer any tips or things to remember to ask?? It's so hard to remember everything when you get in there. Last time I made a list but my older son managed to destroy it just before we went in.

Thanks.

PS I'm secretly hoping that all the test reulsts will be normal, altough I know that is unlikely to happen. Also, if they give me the chooice of a food group to introducce, if say all reactions were similar, which would you choose?? Milk, gluten??? Thanks

tatt Fri 17-Jun-05 09:44:24

try and take either another person or a voice recorder. I took both to one appointment and my husband wouldn't believe me about one comment until I'd played the tape back to him. People remember different things Ask what the values are for each food but the level considered significant seems to vary from one food to another so ask what they suggest reintroducing. Ask if you should try whatever it is in cooked foods first and if they suggest dairy ask about goats or sheeps milk/ cheese. Egg isn't too bad to avoid and probably soya is less difficult than the others. Avoiding gluten is worse than just wheat but both gluten and milk are a real pain. If I had to choose I'd probably go for milk as the worst but that may be because I've only ever had to avoid gluten when someone was visiting

mamaoftwo Fri 17-Jun-05 13:06:27

Thanks tatt good advice all round. I can't believe how anxious I am about it all. Dairy and Soya were his worst offenders before so I expeecting them still to come out bad, but a little but of wheat would be nice to try now. Managing his diet is a pain and I think I have been working towards this day in the hope of some dietery improvement!

I think he is too young for goats/sheeps milk yet (not quite 1yr), but I will definitely ask.

Thanks.

tatt Fri 17-Jun-05 14:02:01

goats milk formula (nanny, boots will order it) is available so you could try that if they suggest reintroducing dairy. If he's not on probiotics ask about those too

tatt Sat 18-Jun-05 09:05:43

how did you get on?

mamaoftwo Sat 18-Jun-05 19:10:52

Hi tatt thanks for your message. This is the first chance I've had to get near the pc since yesterday afternoon. And it's like an oven in this room so I won't be hanging around tonight! I don't know where in the country you are but it's UNBELIEVABLY hot in London right now!

Anyway, all the results were 'within normal ranges' (apparently that is up to +0.5). No one food group stuck out as problematic.

Initially I thought this was really good news. But the consultant quickly explained that this meant that his problems were to do with his gastric reflux disease, and the reason he has been better over the past few months is that the main trigger foods have been removed from his diet...

So, theroreticlaly speaking I could feed him whatever I liked now, but the reflux symptoms would almost certainly come back with a vengence. Therefore I am going to try gluten first and see how he gets on. I was advised to keep hiim off dairy and soya for as long as possible as they caused an awful reaction before. I'm seeing the dietician on Monday to plan some meals for him, as I'd like to reduce his 'milk' (Nutramigen) and if so, I need to maintain the essential vitamins and other nutrients.

So good news and bad news. I am SO pleased he does not strictly speaking have 'allergies' but upset becuase I really wanted to be told the reflux was gone and he'd grown out of all his other problems. Anyway, it could be far, far worse so I'm not complaining.

I had planned to give him his first wheat this morning (wholemeal pittas, the only thing I had suitable) but he woke with a very runny nose and not quite himself, so I am waiting until he is 100% before giving it a go. Watch this space!

Thanks for your support. What's your situation? if you don't mind me asking?

PS No joy with goats/sheeps products. They think it would probably cause his reflux to react in the same way as cows dairy. grr

PPS Totally forgot to mention probiotics. Will ask dietician on Monday.

tatt Mon 20-Jun-05 10:31:56

hey its good news. If he doesn't grow out of reflux (and the valve is often weak in kids but improves with age) there's an operation or drugs to help. Also reflux is one of my issues so I know the major food problems are milk, peppermint and caffeine. Its a pain being milk free but if you don't have to be gluten and soya free too that a big improvement.

As far as our problems go we have some of the family milk free, one that can't have soya milk but is Ok with the flour, one who doesn't have tomatoes and we're all nut free. We don't all have allergies/intolerances for nuts but that's the most severe one so we have a nut free house.

So hot here I can't do the gardening for long so have an excuse to take a break with mumsnet

mamaoftwo Thu 07-Jul-05 19:54:38

Hi tatt sorry for the silence, my pc decided to pack up and I have been completely lost without it! Anyway, back online now.

Sorry to hear about all your different allergies/intolerances etc. I thought it was bad enough just avoiding dairy and soya! You must be a real expert.

I'm interested to hear you also have experience of reflux. I didn't know anything about it really until a year ago. Now of course everyone I speak to seems to have had a baby with it, but I think it must be a common name for a problem with a vast spectrum of severity. My son's was bad, dire in fact, but it does seem to be controlled (at least for the moment) with diet and drugs. However, we will go for the op if it persists as he gets older. I've stopped surfing the net though. I spent months when he was dignosed and I think I got myself in such a state it wasn't helping me at all. sometimes I really believe you can have too much info!

Anyway, I need to go now and catch up with some tv news. Still reeling from the horrific events in the City today, but didn't want you to think I was ignoring you!

PS he seems to be doing okay so far with gluten. Bit worse than 'normal' but it is managable. the birthday went very well and everyone liked my special cake - someone even asked for the recipe!!

tatt Fri 08-Jul-05 07:08:14

glad you're back online and not in the bombing! Yes I suspect there is a lot of variation with reflux. Also when they are projectile vomiting it looks terrible even if there isn't actually much milk involved But its also very common in babies, that valve is weak in babies but gets stronger as they age.

We added kiwi to the list of intolerances this week, its a pain but you just have to get on with it.

mamaoftwo Fri 08-Jul-05 19:31:35

Kiwi?? Oh no. Although I have heard it is becoming more of common allergy food. We are a Kiwi free house. Not for any allergic reason, but just becuase I was advised not to give it to my boys before they were about 5yrs (same as nuts). Poor you. Another food worry to add to the list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now