Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sorry, need advice again

(8 Posts)
pleaserewind Thu 16-Jun-05 19:27:06

can anyone tell me if it's normal for eyes , that is like the eyeball to go sort of jelly looking with hayfever? can't describe what i mean exactly but i know that with hayfever eyes are red, itchy and incredibly puffy but my sons eyes look awful like the lining of his eyeball is jellyish or blistery or something.

he's been like this the last 3 years, the doc never sees his eyes like this as it's always gone down and they just see them red and puffy but the school keep sending him home saying they have never seen anything like it

potty1 Thu 16-Jun-05 19:34:09

Ds's just go red and v.puffy - not heard of this . What do you use in them?

pleaserewind Thu 16-Jun-05 19:35:32

after having them go like this a few times we started using opticrom eyedrops and antihistamine meds. He is only a bit better for it

potty1 Thu 16-Jun-05 19:48:25

Not sure about opticrom but if the drops are sodium chromoglycate you have to use them regularly (even on the days when the hayfever isn't too bad) as the effects build up.

Poor thing.

pleaserewind Thu 16-Jun-05 20:44:22

ye, they are. I have actually been using them 4 times a day since beginning of may, like you say even when his eyes are o.k
i have dealt with him being like this every year by putting cold cloths on them but the school has got me really worried now saying they have never seen anyone elses like that.

pleaserewind Thu 16-Jun-05 22:38:45

scared myself silly now, apparently (google) there is something called vernal allergic conjunctivitis sounding just like it that can affect the sight, even blindness omg

potty1 Thu 16-Jun-05 22:40:45

When he's next like that why not take him up to A&E just to get it checked?

tatt Fri 17-Jun-05 06:58:07

This site

http://www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/9.html

has a picture of vernal allergic conjunctivitis. He could have a bad reaction to the sprays, if they don't help much stop them. Take a picture when he is next like this or demand the gp sees you straight away or take him off to a&e to be seen. Have you tried asking NHS direct what they think? Too much googling is bad for the health as rare conditions tend to get more coverage then common ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now