Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I go to the doctors? Does this sound like possible dairy allergy?

(7 Posts)
tutu100 Wed 04-Nov-09 12:47:37

Ds2 is 11 months old. I stopped breastfeeding a week ago and started giving him formula. First 2 days everything seemed fine, but the 2nd night he was up during the night with tummy ache and bad wind. His poo is now really runny and very pale coloured.

This has only started since I switched him to formula hence why I'm thinking it's something to do with that. He has had cow's milk on cereal before and the occassional yoghurt and has seemed ok, but I guess he hasn't had much dairy before. Is this just him getting used to the formula?

I don't think it is a tummy bug or anything as he seems well in himself. He just seems to have real bad tummy pains mainly at night and foul smelling, runny pale poo.

I will take him to the doctors, but we have had to go several times recently and I'm worried they will start to think I am a neurotic mum (I am though grin}.

tstar Wed 04-Nov-09 12:55:24

Sounds a bit like my son, maybe try a formula which is 100 percent whey.
Maybe discuss soy milk or rice milk with your doctor.

My son can eat whole dairy products but cant handel cows milk
He used to end up bent over in pain.
Now we have cut out cows milk, he is fine.

Good luck.

tutu100 Wed 04-Nov-09 12:59:47

Thank you. I'm going to see how he goes tonight and then I'll take him tomorrow if we have another night like last night. He's just done his 3 rd poo of the day which is unlike him. He's usually a once a day boy.

What formula is 100% whey? Haven't got much of a clue about formula.

mumtoem Wed 04-Nov-09 13:02:14

It does sound related to the formula. Which one are you using?

Tstar, my DD was dairy intolerant. She is gradually improving at 18 months. At her last paediatricians appointment we were told that it was common for dairy intolerant babies to tolerate dairy based meals well before they can tolerate a glass of milk.

tutu100 Wed 04-Nov-09 13:04:58

I started with aptimil follow on milk for a couple of days as that was all I could get. I then switched to hipp organic follow on milk as I would prefer him to have organic milk and we've used that since Saturday. I have got some aptimil for him to have tonight to see if that makes a difference.

mumtoem Wed 04-Nov-09 14:35:23

I am not sure what is in Aptamil follow on. It might be both whey and casein based. Aptamil first milk is certainly whey based.

I have heard that some babies are OK on one formula and really struggle with a different brand, so going back to the Aptamil again tonight does seem worth trying.

If your DS has a bad night again, you could consider soya formula. My DD switched to this at about 11 months. I think it helped a little but didn't solve all her problems - she also has reflux.

tutu100 Thu 05-Nov-09 21:18:09

Just thought I'd update. Took ds2 to dr's today. Dr thinks the symptoms sound like a possible intolerance. He has prescribed wysoy to give him over the weekend. We are to go back Tuesday and then depending on how he gets on we will be referred to hospital.

I'm slightly concerned about giving him soya formula due to the high incidence of those with milk intolerance also being intolerant to soya but guess it will be very apparent if he is.

So thank you everyone for your posts. Lets see what happens tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now