Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can cat allergy come on slowly?

(5 Posts)
beanpip Mon 02-Nov-09 08:23:34

Hi smile

We got a cat 2 weeks ago and everything seemed fine until a week ago when DS(5) started sneezing like mad and has had a runny itchy nose since.

Is it possible for an allergic reaction to come on that slowly? Or am I just being a mad mum blush and DS just has a cold!?

mrsgboring Mon 02-Nov-09 08:32:12

sorry sounds like it could be allergy. he shd improve outside the house if allergic.

put him in clean clothes and go straight out for the morning somewhere cat free obv - if he still sneezes it's a cold!

KnottyLocks Mon 02-Nov-09 08:50:24

Could be an allergy. I grew up with a cat in the house and was ok, but when visiting my parents after leaving home I was a sniffling mess. Probably had an allergy as a kid but developed a tolerance while living in the house with the moggy.

pugsandseals Mon 02-Nov-09 10:25:33

Yep, sounds like cat allergy to me! Is he scratching at all? Often the bit under the chin gets very itchy too.

bruffin Tue 03-Nov-09 23:07:02

Allergies start any time in life. DS has been fine with our guyinea pigs for 2 years and now suddenly has started sneezing when he gives them a cuddle. When he was having allergy tests two years ago he came up negative for guinea pig and positive for cat.

DH was the same as knottylocks, he is okay with an animal he has lived with for a few weeks,as long as he doesn't touch his face after stroking one, but he was in an awful state when he went to my sisters who has two cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now