Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

getting 1yr old to take nutramigen? would you add something?

(19 Posts)
misdee Tue 27-Oct-09 17:41:59

am debating whether or not to wean dd4 off breastmilk and onto allergy formula. thing is, she wont take it. dont blame her as it smells foul.

i was reading the ingediants on other dd's milkshake powder, and its actually milk, egg and nut free. i seriously thought about adding a spoonful of that to dd4 milk.

am i a bad bad mum?

misdee Tue 27-Oct-09 18:32:47

anyone?

sarah293 Tue 27-Oct-09 18:40:46

Message withdrawn

misdee Tue 27-Oct-09 18:43:47

because she loves breastmilk still. but i am getting tired of it [selfish mummy]

her diet is very restricted due to her allergies, so any help she can get and all that jazz....

she eats ok, but seeing as she cant have the usual milk, yog, cheese etc, and nothing containing nuts or may contain nuts, and nothing with eggs in, well.

sarah293 Tue 27-Oct-09 18:46:02

Message withdrawn

misdee Tue 27-Oct-09 18:47:47

hmmmm vegan is an idea, i have been toying with, but i cant get past metally that babies/toddlers should be having milk. arent they meant to have a pint a day after the age of 1? thats why they give 7pints of vouchers worth a week isnt it?

sarah293 Tue 27-Oct-09 19:33:20

Message withdrawn

topiarygal Tue 27-Oct-09 20:26:40

Honey - dairy allergic children have a shortage of fats which you need to keep up and it's hard enough trying to balance the diet without having to compensate for no nutramigen as well.
I had the same problem with my lad, I went for a mix of nutramigen and breast milk 9:1 and he took it and gradually increased the nutramigen until he was totally on it. Yes it takes forever, but it is worth it - no more breast feeding, my son now loves all sorts of foods (having had such a savoury milk substitute) and he HAS grown out of it.
Do try - good luck - I know it is terribly hard,
tx

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 27-Oct-09 20:33:06

DS is dairy intolerant. He was on Nutramigen, but then went onto Neocate Advance.

Of course you aren't a bad mom, but Nutramigen is foul. It smells dreadful. Could you, or rather your DD, try Neocate which is more neutral?

Unfortunately I didn't have a choice as DS was vomiting after being b/f despite being dairy free for 6 weeks....

MummieGee Tue 27-Oct-09 21:34:12

Hi Misdee

COURSE you're NOT a bad mum!! I'm having the same traumas with Neocate Advance. DS quite liked Neocate but discovered allergy to sunflower oil so it - and all other allergy formulas - bring him out in a rash. And Neocate Advance is the vilest thing on earth but only sunflower oil free one available. He just will not take it.

Have been so worried about his extremely slow weight gain have been toying with adding stuff to it but haven't yet. Have been soya and milk free myself - not vegan cos he and I love our meat. And to be honest, he can eat so few things I just need to give him everything I can.

Am about to start trying to add breastmilk to Neocate Advance, but he's not that keen on bottles or cups so it's going to take a while, I think.

And, I thought, you were meant to give formula or BM until about two?

Anyways, just wanted to offer my sympathies and understanding and (((((hug)))). Hope you find a solution soon.
MG x

RubberDuck Tue 27-Oct-09 21:36:24

I'd say go for whatever it takes - you can always gradually reduce the quantity of milkshake powder with each one until you're not adding anything. It's got to be worth a try, hasn't it?

foxinsocks Tue 27-Oct-09 21:40:50

dietician told us to add a spoon of nesquik if she really wouldn't have any (not chocolate - but I think that's because dd also had a soya allergy in addition to egg/milk) but I think the theory was to add as little as possible and then cut it down as quickly as possible

in the end we didn't - what I found was key was warming the nutramigen up to body temperature and then when they drink, it doesn't seem to taste so foul. It's a pain warming it up but it seemed to work (and I guess breast milk is warm!).

Sheilsie Tue 27-Oct-09 23:58:21

Similar to Nesquick, the dietician told us to add sugar-free Crusha to the Nutramigen if need be.

misdee Wed 28-Oct-09 00:17:30

yes, it des have soya lecthcin in it, and although dd4 was negative to soya en she had her tests done, am cautious with it. might look at crusha as well.

i am so so tired with the breastfeeding. she wants milk all the time, and i'm too soft to say no blush

breakfast is porriage made with water

fruit midmornin

sandwiches and fruit for lunch

biscuit and raisens mid afternoon

dinner is meat + veg or pasta based.

so she eats well, but has 6+ breastfeeds a day, as well as some at night. (am currnetly awake as trying to cut out the midnight feed and she is unsettled)

MonsterousNasalPustule Wed 28-Oct-09 00:43:25

Friend added ribena concentrate, also tried vanilla essence and cinnamon powder as worried about the sugar and colour change and both were a hit.

BluePurrl Wed 28-Oct-09 15:38:05

Hi, my DS1 is dairy, egg and soya allergic, he had neocate. DS2 had no allergy but was advised to go onto Nutramigen to ensure no adverse reactions to DS1. With both of them I had to go cold turkey on breastfeeding and persist with the formula over a couple of days. They both ended up loving their formula.

Neither of them has formula now, we give them Oat Milk (made by Oatley) which has the same amount of calcium as cows milk but is dairy, egg and soya free. They love it and have it in their porridge and as a bedtime drink...

Sheilsie Wed 28-Oct-09 20:26:43

Hi Bluepurrl, at what age was your DS1 when you stopped the Neocate and gave oat milk as a drink instead? I'd love to do that (my DD is one in a couple of weeks) and will see what the dietician says when I see her next.

BluePurrl Tue 03-Nov-09 21:37:44

Hi Sheilsie,
Sorry for delay in responding.
DS1 was about 2. I wanted to keep him on Neocate for as long as possible as I figured it had all the vitamins etc he might miss from dairy products (mainly calcium).

That said my doctor was surprised that DS1 was still on neocate at his age as I think most docs stop prescribing it as soon as they can after they turn 1.

Sheilsie Fri 06-Nov-09 00:31:22

Thanks BluePurrl. We saw DD's dietician today and she said stay on the Neocate; not so much to get the calcium (which you can get from Oat milk and other sources) but the vitamins and other minerals.

It's partly the sugar content of Neocate that puts me off (teeth worries) and partly because I'm so fed up of measuring out scoops of powder. So maybe next time I'll ask if there is a vitamin/mineral supplement I can use instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now