Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Soya & Dairy allergic friend & dc. What can I give them for lunch?

(12 Posts)
Hulla Tue 27-Oct-09 14:06:54

My friend is coming for lunch tomorrow with her 2 children. They are all allergic to dairy & soya. She has suggested jacket potatoes or wraps for lunch but what can I put in them?

I would ask her but I have sent her so many messages over the last two days I feel like a pest!

Any suggestions? All of a sudden, everything I think of contains cheese [dumb-ass emoticon]

facebookaddict Tue 27-Oct-09 14:14:17

Fahitas, or if too spicy just get one of those red pepper humus pots or normal humus, some pre cooked chicken slices, cherry toms and put all in wraps, lettuce and crisps on the side!

easier still jacket pots with b beans

Beachcomber Tue 27-Oct-09 14:29:54

My children are allergic to dairy and soya. The have backed potatoes with tuna mayo (check ingredients in mayo or make own) or with hummus. DD2 also likes her pots with sweetcorn and tomato. DD1 likes coleslaw (again check ingredients or make to be sure there is no dairy)

We do wraps with chicken and I make a non spicy salsa to put in them instead of cream/cheese to keep them moist. Add salady stuff/fried peppers and onions for those that like them.

I bet your mate is very grateful that you are being careful like this, plenty of people aren't.

Hulla Tue 27-Oct-09 15:24:33

Thanks both of you. Wraps/fajitas sound really good. I would absolutely not have thought of it.

Hmmm, this thread has actually made me pretty hungry. grin

neversaydie Tue 27-Oct-09 15:32:04

Check the ingredients if you buy wraps - a lot of commercially made products have soya as an additive. Certainly a lot of shop bread has soya in it.

lavenderkate Tue 27-Oct-09 15:32:35

JPs and baked beans? Spaghetti hoops.
Sausages and mash (using Rice milk)

You could buy a tub of PURE margerine (I think thats soya free?) and make buns. That would be special.smile

I have dd2 allergic to milk and was always so touched by any act of kindness or effort friends went to for her.

Pure and Rice milk both available from all supermarkets, and most places have an allergy shelf where you could pick up dairy free items.

Lovely of you to care

thehairybabysmum Tue 27-Oct-09 15:44:10

I have a friend who is allergic to dairy AND gluten. I tend to feed her homemade soup.

You could also do pasta with a tomatoey sauce.

Chicken + roasted veggies.

Hulla Tue 27-Oct-09 15:52:04

I could make my own bread & I have some Flora No Salt - I'll check the ingredients when dd wakes.

Gosh, its difficult isn't it? Must be hard to do this full time!

Thanks for the suggestions. People lovely on the allergies threads!

quirkychick Tue 27-Oct-09 16:03:48

Pitta bread is usually soya and dairy free. Hummus (but not reduced fat or anything like that!) is too. "Simply delicious" organic mayonnaise is ok I think - used to use it for dd.

Have a lovely lunch.

lavenderkate Tue 27-Oct-09 16:08:04

You get used to it.
Harder for you. But lovely of you to care, they'll really appreciate it.
Biscuits and buns are the things they realy miss out on.

Beachcomber Tue 27-Oct-09 16:19:52

Thanks for finding us lovely smile.

Have a nice lunch with your mate.

Hulla Tue 27-Oct-09 17:29:20

Sorry, I have just read my message back and noticed it was poorly typed ("People lovely?"). Glad you knew what I meant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now