Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

does anyone know if taking antibiotics when having a skin prick test

(8 Posts)
cheeryface Tue 27-Oct-09 11:43:40

would affect the results?? the tests for pollen, dog, cat and dustmites
thanks

cheeryface Tue 27-Oct-09 12:27:31

LuluDanceOnMyGrave Tue 27-Oct-09 12:30:08

No idea, can you ask the person doing the test? DS has had them and all we've been warned about is coming off of antihistamines a few days beforehand, although the consultant did ask questions about his general health before doing the test.

CMOTdibbler Tue 27-Oct-09 12:31:20

It's not an issue. DS was on super mega antibiotics when he had his skin prick tests, which the same Dr prescribed

cheeryface Tue 27-Oct-09 12:42:26

thanks thats good then smile
i was surpised that when ds2 had it done he had no reaction whatsoever to dogs . he had previously reacted to mils dog and had a blood test that said he was allergic to dogs about 2 years ago.
i wondered if the skin prick one was wrong or affected by antibiotics that he was on.

LuluDanceOnMyGrave Tue 27-Oct-09 12:43:58

False negative skin prick tests are possible, DS was like this with egg. You certainly can't rely on them as the only diagnosis of an allergy!

CMOTdibbler Tue 27-Oct-09 12:57:08

He could have grown out of the allergy, and may be reacting to the shampoo/flea treatment that MIL uses on her dog, rather than the dog itself.

Allergies are funny things though - my mum is contact allergic to wet goat, but not dry ones fr'instance, and to tomato plants, not tomatos

cheeryface Tue 27-Oct-09 13:14:32

i actually said to the doc that i was aware the tests werent foolproof (as ds2 was jumping up and down saying we can have a dog yay) and he said he would believe the test to be correct. he hasnt been near mils dog for 2 years as shes moved away so i suppose he could have outgrown it.
funny though he never reacted at all to my friends lab even 2 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now