Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are your DCs with asthma having the SF jab?

(12 Posts)
GhostlyPixieOnaPumpkin Mon 26-Oct-09 11:08:47

My two youngest (11 and 8) have asthma, and I've been offered the SF jab for them. They already have the flu jab, although I know this offers no protection, is anybody else deciding whether they should have it or not, and what have you decided?

overmydeadbody Mon 26-Oct-09 11:14:27

My DS won't because he had swine flu last week <sigh>

He nver has the flu jab either though.

Katisha Mon 26-Oct-09 11:30:06

HOw was he with the asthma and swine flu overmydeadbody?

biggirlsdontcry Mon 26-Oct-09 11:31:36

hi , yes ds (10) has asthma & i am worried about him getting the swine flu jab as his doctor seems to think the jab has not been fully tested & may have severe side effects , so still undecided , will watch this thread .

Katisha Mon 26-Oct-09 11:34:30

Did the doctor actually say that Biggirls? Interesting because it's what I feel, but I thought GPs were just pushing the jab regardless.

biggirlsdontcry Mon 26-Oct-09 11:44:29

yes katisha , he told me that 4 weeks ago when i had ds there with his cough , i asked him about the jab & he said he thinks the jab has not been tested properly & that it is being rushed through out of panic sad so now i am worried about weather to get myself (also have asthma & kidney problems) & ds vaccinated . also just before the mid term break we received a letter from ds's school to say there has been an out break of sf in ds's year .

cutekids Wed 04-Nov-09 09:09:38

has there been anymore information published on the swine flu jab for kids with asthma?I'm having the dilemma now.Do I?Don't I?
Funny really...if it was me,I'd probably have it with no hesitation but not sure about giving it to my 9yr old dd2.

Weta Wed 04-Nov-09 10:08:04

We got DS1 (age 6) vaccinated last week at the first available opportunity (we are in Luxembourg so different system here, and fortunately it's not rife here yet).

I guess it comes down to what you believe about the vaccine, and that's very hard to assess. In the end we decided to pretty much trust the 1 in a million statistic for serious damage as a side effect, and felt that the danger to DS1 of getting SF was much greater as it seems to me that it can kill people with asthma. He has always been very susceptible to viruses, and his asthma has always been triggered by them, so I think it's pretty likely that SF would cause him problems. He also seems to get things badly, eg chickenpox was a nightmare, so I have little faith that he would just get a mild case of SF!

Good luck with the decision...

carocaro Wed 04-Nov-09 10:19:39

My DS1 is 6 and is due for the flu jab this week. I am undecided about the swine flu jab, I need to talk to my GP, I really trust her opinion and when DS1 gets a virus his mild asthma really cranks up.

I think I will be more reassured when I speak to my GP.

I don't Google anything health related as I can scare myself shitless with it all.

carocaro Wed 04-Nov-09 10:23:33

Saying all that, just called docs and recorded message says they have 'no information about when they are getting supplies of the Swine Flu vaccine and this message is updated daily'

pagwatch Wed 04-Nov-09 10:44:53

no. neither of my two with asthma will get it. Butthen they don't get the usual flu jab either.

sadiemac Sun 08-Nov-09 13:33:48

My daughter age 10 has asthma. After flu jab 5 years ago she was critically ill in hosp( there was no link, investagation etc as Doc just blamed random virus.) Care was excellent and I would never diss modern medicine however then following year after flu jab the same happened again. Daughter recovered well and since then I have not had her vaccinated and combined her medicine with lots of herbal things too, like manuka honey every morning in winter, elderberry syrup and extra vits and anti-oxidants this time of year. Still I am completely torn about SF jab and if I should try again this year as scary news is a worry. Would like to hear if any other parents of asthmatics feel the same. I am not against vaccines but I do feel 2 out of 2 times is a bad stat for my daughter to be ill again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now