Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS most likely has allergic rhinitis

(14 Posts)
Maria2007 Fri 23-Oct-09 22:05:15

Hi, my DS (15 months) has had a phlegmy cough on & off since March (more on than off) & an on & off runny nose (again. More on than off!) In both my family & DP's allergic rhinitis as well as dustmite allergy & hay fever are very common. So, as the cough seems to be getting worse (especially at night, waking him 1-2 times during the night) we visited the GP & he suggested antihistamines temporarily just to see if they have an effect. Tonight's the first night, lets see if they work. Already we hear no cough, actually haven't heard a peep out of him since 7 shock.

DR mentioned mattress covers & open windows...but he said that it's just something that's outgrown, not much to do about it really.

Any other tips / suggestions?

Maria2007 Sat 24-Oct-09 11:18:54

Bumping this up...

OK last night, first night with antihistamines, DS slept through 7-7 with only very little coughing around 4 am (and he self settled on his own within 1-2 mins despite the coughing). So obviously the antihistamine is having an effect.... Not sure what to make of this, is it because it causes drowsiness, or is it that we can conclude from its effect that DS does have allergy? We haven't been referred to an allergy clinic as the GP said its better to prevent / cure.

Any ideas?

GhostlyPixieOnaPumpkin Sat 24-Oct-09 19:58:31

Often if it's controlled by an antihistime it's really not necessary to be seen by an allergy clinic, which is often reserved for severe, uncontrollable allergies.
It sounds very much like an allergy to me, and you should definitely keep up with the antihistimine.
If he is still coughing, however, you could go back to the GP and ask for a Ventolin inhaler, which should sort it out if it gets bad.

Maria2007 Sat 24-Oct-09 22:52:05

Thanks Ghostly. I have one question though: how long should he take the antihistamine? Indefinitely? Just for a few days? Until symptoms go?

GhostlyPixieOnaPumpkin Sun 25-Oct-09 19:15:38

The antihistime is not a cure for an allergy but a prevention, meaning that yes, he should take the antihistime indefinitely (although you might want to take him off it for a few days, once a year, so that you can check whether he is still allergic or not - if he is no longer displaying symptoms when you take him off them, then there is no point putting him back on them). You can get a repeat prescription for antihistimine from the GP, though, which should save some money!
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask away!

Maria2007 Sun 25-Oct-09 19:28:41

Oh interesting about the antihistamine- I thought it was a cure...

The cough & runny nose are still going strong & I wonder how on earth we can be sure what he's allergic to! It's clear to me he must be allergic to something- otherwise why the constant runny nose & cough when asleep? Would it not help if we knew? If anyone have more of an idea about particular times of year allergies flare up- DS seems much worse in the last month (october)...

LeninGhoul Mon 26-Oct-09 08:48:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

happystory Mon 26-Oct-09 09:08:05

Well I'm no expert but dd's birthday is at this time of year and it became obvious that around her birthday she was always ill, streaming nose, eyes, tickly cough. She was never tested but the GP diagnosed allergic rhinitis and said it could be an allergy to leaf mould, sure enough she's got symptoms now....

LeninGhoul Mon 26-Oct-09 09:37:53

Katisha Mon 26-Oct-09 09:42:04

Ive had allergic rhinitis all my life. Have never been able to pinpoint any particular trigger. Animal fur does make me feel awful, but we don't have pets and still I have it on and off.
I just keep taking the antihistamines.

LeninGhoul Mon 26-Oct-09 09:49:19

Katisha Mon 26-Oct-09 09:54:14

Yes I must get back on the beconase. I was on flixonase for years but then started getting nosebleeds so came off and went onto ahs. But recently the nurse recommended going back on the beconase.

teatank Mon 26-Oct-09 10:03:46

maria2007 i have had rhinitis all my life and i find mine is triggered by certain foods. mostly dairy and chocolate.

Maria2007 Mon 26-Oct-09 20:32:42

Thanks everyone for the info.

I think the runny nose / cough has become much worse since we started turning the heating on regularly actually. So that's something to consider. Dust in radiators...hhhmmm, could be. How do I get rid of it? And maybe the heating itself creates dryness / causes irritation in his throat?

No pets here, no smokers, no real fires.

And how do we test for asthma? Does asthma not involve wheezing too? (he doesn't have that).

One last question. Today he refused his dinner completely. Then he had his antihistamine, then his milk. He vomited very violently after his milk. We gave him a bit more milk to calm him. Loads of vomit again. I wonder, could it be the antihistamine causing this? (although last he had it was last night, and the loss of appetite & vomiting was this evening at 5.00 pm...couldn't be connected surely?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now