Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone with experience of shellfish allergy? Please come talk to me now!!!

(5 Posts)
pugsandseals Fri 23-Oct-09 18:28:08

DD age 7 just had some prawns with her tea. Started complaining about a sore tongue almost immediately which we didn't really understand, but by the time she had finished she had a huge rash around the outside & inside of her mouth and was complaining her throat felt funny like she couldn't breath very deeply!
We gave her anti-histamine immediately which worked nice and quickly. Just wondering what to do next? Is it worth argueing with the doctor to get her tested to see just ow severe it is? Or is this process going to take for ever? I had allergy testing for animal allergies 10 years ago & remember having to wait over a year for an appointment! How long is the wait now anyone know?

luciemule Fri 23-Oct-09 21:14:05

My friend (when she was about 16) suddenly developed a shell fish allergy, quickly got tested and they told her she had to carry an epi pen from then on.
Don't think they'll mess about with a child -they know allergies can get more serious with each exposure.

fretaway Fri 23-Oct-09 21:14:29

I think it depends on where you live and whether your gp will refer you or not. dd is nearly 2 and she was referred by our dermatologist and that took 6 months, dh has a shellfish allergy but never got tested since it was found out by trial and error and by then it was pretty obvious.
If she had swelling around the throat you should be given epipens to carry aound just in case you need them. dd is allergic to dairy, eggs, fish and nuts - she has never had breathing problems during a reaction but the allergy consultants say carry epipens just in case.
If you ask for testing its also worth asking if they will test for other types of fish too.

timberwolf Fri 23-Oct-09 21:21:08

Get her tested asap.

You shouldn't have to 'argue' with the doctor. Doctors know that the next time she has contact with shellfish could be extremely serious. She needs an epipen right now if it is a shellfish allergy.

Animal allergies don't normally prompt such immediately life threatening physiacl reactions.

pugsandseals Fri 23-Oct-09 22:36:03

Thanks all-
Will make an appointment ASAP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now