Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What supplements do you give to your multi-allergy kids?

(6 Posts)
Squidmission Thu 22-Oct-09 10:31:17

I've been trying to see a dietician for months for ds2 but there seems to be no progress. I'm fed up of waiting and I may as well get on with this myself (just like everything else regarding ds2. Bitter, me?)

He is allergic to nuts, sesame, lentils, chick peas, fish and can tolerate goats milk but will have hardly any dairy.

Can anyone recommend brands of supplements please? I was thinking of calcium and a multi vitamin. I may need some omega 3 too? (obviously not a fish derived one though)

AcademicMum Thu 22-Oct-09 20:06:59

For omega-3 we use Haliborange Pure Plant Source Infant Omega-3, which is derived from some micro-algae or other. It's tasteless so can be added to food. For multivits we use Boots own brand orange flavoured ones. Beware of Abidec multivitamin syrup which has peanut oil in it. I think calcium supplements are only available on prescription for under-3's due to potential stress on their kidneys if they get too much.

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 22-Oct-09 20:11:42

<<waves to Academic>>

DS has been prescribed Dalivit, and whilst bowing to Academic's knowledge, thought peanut oil was OK as it was the peanut protein that causes allergic reactions?

AcademicMum Thu 22-Oct-09 21:23:09

<<waves back to ilove>> and lol at bowing to my "knowledge" grin

I always thought peanut oil was to peanut allergy sufferers what butter is to milk allergy sufferers i.e. fat and therefore theoretically shouldn't be a problem, but has a risk of being contaminated with proteins and therefore best avoided to be on the safe side.

babybarrister Thu 22-Oct-09 23:50:40

DS allergic to dairy, egg, nuts, sesame and celery - I do not in fact give him anything as told not necessary and he is like a brick shithouse! I make him eat vegetables .... grin I do give him calcium enriched oat/rice milk

Squidmission Sat 24-Oct-09 20:40:41

Thanks for your replies. Will have a look in Boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now