Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Children's parties ..../sort of an AIBU but with a more tolerant audience!

(6 Posts)
babybarrister Wed 21-Oct-09 14:28:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Twinsmommy Wed 21-Oct-09 15:17:21

Hi babybarrister:

IMO - Sadly, I think you are just going to have to put up with taking your own stuff for him this year.

As you say, once you have moved, you will be able to do parties at home where he will be able to eat everything, safe in the knowledge that you have prepared it.

Even if you found a venue that said they could cater for him (but it wasn't something they typically did), would you be able to relax enough to let him enjoy it? Wouldn't you be wondering how they had prepared things and if they had been as vigilant as you would have been?

Unless, of course, you hired a church hall or something similar, with an entertainer, and did all the food yourself there.

I took my 3-yr old twin boys to several of same such parties this year - and every one of them was great. There was a Spiderman entertainer at one, a magician and balloon-animal maker at another..... all of them with plenty of games for the children, and, of course, home prepared food for all.

ilovetochat Wed 21-Oct-09 15:25:55

dd is 2 and has been to 2 parties in the village hall where the organiser did their own food, pass the parcel and put a ball pool and mini bouncy castle and slide in for play and they were great!

blueshoes Wed 21-Oct-09 16:11:26

I think entertainers are a bit wasted on 3 year olds. I say that having just attended my ds' nursery friend's 3 year old party which had lots of children in that age group.

Better if you can find a soft play area with an adjoining room that allows you to cater your own food. Or a church hall, hire a bouncy castle and toys scattered around (great if the hall also runs a toddlers' group that has toys stored on site that you can borrow).

brimfull Wed 21-Oct-09 16:16:15

I agree it is annoying when you have an allergic child they won't cater for.
I don't ask for gaurantees when I ask about safe food anymore. I ask to check the ingredients and then i tell ds what he can and cannot eat.
No one will cater for allergic children I find if you ask for gauranteed nut free or something, but if you check what they are serving it is usually safe anywya. Well that's for nut allergies anywya so may be totally irrelevant.

Squidmission Wed 21-Oct-09 19:13:12

When ds1 was 3, I just hired a church hall, a ball pit and had a bubble machine from Tesco's.
I set up a table with pictures and colouring pencils and did all the food myself.
It worked really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now