Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Multiple Allergies - Battling with making Meals

(9 Posts)
zeered Tue 20-Oct-09 21:13:12

My one year old is allergic to dairy, egg, soya, wheat, peanuts and tree nuts, sesame, chickpeas.

I am really battling with meal ideas. Have just returned to work so am making batches of food for the freezer in the evenings. But seem to always make the basic options i.e. meat, rice or potatoes and veg.
So boring for him and worried he wont develop tastes for anything else.

Would love any recipe or meal suggestions from mums dealing with similar allergies.

Thank you!

girlsyearapart Wed 21-Oct-09 09:11:15

Hi my dd is 13mo and we have had similar issues. Here are the things we feed her- apologies if they don't quite fit in with your DS's requirements:

Snacks- rice cakes (different flavours), animal shaped biscuits in the free from section of Sainsburys,grapes,strawberries,blueberries,cucumber,Rice Krispie shapes cereal, own brand Hula Hoop type crisps (but not actual Hula Hoops) Don't give these much but good at a party! Organix bars- cocoa and raisin or blueberry, raisins.Dove Farm bars (waitrose £££!)

Meals- Jacket potatoes with sweetcorn, pure spread and ham.
Roast sweet pots, roast carrot, chicken.
Pasta - either Bob the Builder wheat free (sainsbury/tesco) or Annabel Karmel wheat free stars if you can find (waitrose) with broccoli and Oatly cream.

Easy meal- McCain oven chips with Sainsburys free from fishfingers.

Hope this helps- our dd has problems with many fruits and veg including tomato. If you can use that it opens up your options a bit more.

Squidmission Wed 21-Oct-09 11:08:07

Ds2 also has multiple allergies. He is not allergic to wheat but is to fish and lentils.
I always feel like I'm making the same things as well.

pasta with tomato/veg/mince
shepherds pie, chicken pie
chicken/meat casseroles with lots of veg
curries (without chilli) any combination of chicken/meat and veg (chicken saag, potato, keema with peas, cauliflower etc)
stir fries with rice noodles or rice
Rissottos and pilau rice dishes
Potato wedges, corn on the cob with homemade burgers or chicken nuggets

wheredidmyoldlifego Wed 21-Oct-09 11:20:25

Hi zeered,

My DS is 4 and also allergic to nuts, seeds and eggs - and I have felt the same as you about always doing the same foods for our DS.

However I now don't worry as long as he eats - his tastes change over the course of a few months by which time I've found something else to make, and then I can go back and make the other items. I also make sure I give him loads fo veg, even if he's not eaten it before as I found him to be curious about different foods - plus even if he says he doesn't like it or turns his nose up, I just keep persevering with it. If he's getting enough of a mixture of food groups, then we're happy.

Good luck. My fall back is always roast chicken, potatoes, carrots and broccoli. It never fails!

zeered Fri 23-Oct-09 22:22:37

oh thank you! Some great ideas...
I know it sounds quite sad but i am actually quite excited about food shopping tom and getting him a few of these bits...anything to make it more interesting for him!

Girlsyearapart -Where can I get rice crispie shapes cereal? Is that made by rice crispie brand? Great idea about oatley cream. Never thought of that and rice noodles.

Thank you, thank you!

girlsyearapart Sat 24-Oct-09 09:05:21

Yep it's next to the Rice Krispies in an orange box. You can give cornflakes and normal Rice Krispies too but the shapes are tastier and we give them dry as a snack.

Bear in mind that the 'own brand' of the same cereal may be no good I know the Asda version has got one of the things she can't have in it- can't remember what though!

We also give Oatibix- good for soaking up loads of milk (Nutramigen AA is what our dd is on)

Leave yourself lots of time for shopping.

wheredidmyoldlifego Sun 25-Oct-09 22:48:17

One thing to add about cereals is that we always check the packet now even if we've bought that brand before - same goes for pretty much everything.

Reason being is that manufacturers can change their manfacturing techniques or factory lines, and as such, one week 'x cereal' may be fine and the next it may have changed and now be 'made in factory with nuts'.

Believe it or not, I have come across an entire nut in a chocolate bar which said 'made in a factory with nuts' NOT 'may contain nuts!'

That was enough to shock us out of our complacency and now we check everything.

girlsyearapart Mon 26-Oct-09 16:36:48

shock at that!wheredid

wheredidmyoldlifego Mon 26-Oct-09 18:15:29

I know but at least it means we check everything now as its so easy to get into a comfort zone! It's really not a problem though as it's 'normal' for us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now