Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Terrible allergic rash - possibly a food allergy?

(15 Posts)
IlanaK Sun 18-Oct-09 20:07:26

I am on day 4 of a really terrible allergic rash. It is all over my arms, a little on my chest and neck. Red spots that are extremely itchy and in places have all run together into what looks almost like a burn and is very sore.

I have had this type of reaction to two things before - neither of them food. Two different cscetions - the bandage used over scar in one and the surgical drape adhesive in another. Really severe reactions just like this (but on abdomen). The other thing I have reacted to is the sun - I have been allergic to that for years, getting worse each summer. That rash is confined to the tops of my forearms.

The reason I think this is a food related rash is that I have not been in the sun. And also, this started the day I went to a meeting last week where they provided a sandwhich lunch. So I thought it might be something in the sandwhiches.

Is this rash likely to be a reaction to food? If not, what on earth could it be?

I am a very allergic type person anyway, and the older i get, the more reactions to things I seem to get in general.

IlanaK Sun 18-Oct-09 20:25:12

Bump. I am in agony with this and really need advice.

IlanaK Sun 18-Oct-09 21:40:09

Anyone?

salvolatile Sun 18-Oct-09 21:43:59

not sure what to suggest but if you have any antihistamine in the house I would suggest you take it now and then regularly until you can get to your GP on Monday.... it certainly sounds from your history as though you should be referred for allergy testing`. HTH

foxinsocks Sun 18-Oct-09 21:45:15

what was in the sandwiches?

IlanaK Sun 18-Oct-09 21:45:28

Thanks for answering. I did take an antihistimine on day 3, but did not find it made any difference (but it also didn't when I have sun rash or when I had the adhesive rashes either).

I think I will need to go to the GP

IlanaK Sun 18-Oct-09 21:46:42

They were mostly cheese (I am intolerant to dairy - it does cause upset stomach, but I still give in to the cravings for it sometimes). I also had some beef ones with horseradish in them. I wondered if it was that as horseradish is something I have not had for years.

Spidermama Sun 18-Oct-09 21:49:24

Urticaria?

My son has this. He has had it for weeks now. The doc said anti histamines but they've done no good whatsoever. I've tried a couple of other things like a homeopathic remedy and taking him off dairy but no joy. Am taking him back to doc tomorrow.

Why not google images urgticaria and see if the rash looks like yours. It means, literally, nettle rash.

foxinsocks Sun 18-Oct-09 21:51:24

have you put some cream on it (like mild hydrocortisone or something like that)?

it's not something you've worn (new jumper, new washing powder)?

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 18-Oct-09 21:53:22

Latex?

Could the sandwiches have been wrapped in latex?

IlanaK Sun 18-Oct-09 22:00:31

I looked up urticaria. It looks sort of like that , but not exactly.

I have not had any new clothes or changed washing powder (we use washing balls anyway).

I started putting aloe on it tonight which helps relieve it temporarily.

bridewolf Wed 21-Oct-09 17:19:51

what environmental allergies do you have?

do you think you may have a latex allergy?

IlanaK Wed 21-Oct-09 22:14:34

I have hayfever. I'm allergic to most tree and grass pollens. I am extremely sensitive to insect bites - the area of the bite usually swells a lot.

I have no idea if I have latex allergy, but I don't think I rubbed any latex on my arms though.

musicmama Thu 22-Oct-09 11:41:15

Hope you are feeling better. I am 30 weeks pregnant and have bad case of hives (fancy word: urticaria) since week 23/24. They come and go, worse at night. They were unbearable the first 2-3 weeks and the only comfort i had was in freezing cold shower. I tried calamine, aloe, moisturiser, E45 anti ithch, homeopathic meds and creams...everything. went to GP and he suggested anti histamines. they worked for less than a day and then made things mildly better so that i wasnt crying/ wanting to rip my skin off. But then the effects wore off. It changes daily: sometimes they're mildly annoying and sometimes i just cant stop crying from the pain. I'm going to see GP tomorrow again, but he probably wont be able to do much. i had similar case three years ago that lasted for 3.5 months and we never figured out the root cause. and in this case, we have no idea idea. pregnancy can trigger it tho, so i asumme i will be like this for, at least, another two months.
Hope you are feeling better! moisturise, anti histamines and cold showers...

IlanaK Fri 23-Oct-09 12:20:18

Thanks musicmama - I really appreciate your answer. It is getting a little better now slowly. Very depressing to realise that it can be triggered by something unknown as that means you can't really avoid it. I totally understand the crying thing - it is such a painful condition to be in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now