Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

is skin prick testing always accurate? better than rast?

(8 Posts)
cheeryface Thu 15-Oct-09 19:54:49

ds2 tested negative to dogs on the skin prick test.
previously he has reacted to dogs and has tested positive on the rast test.

should i trust this latest skin prick test is correct?

any advice or experience with similar?

girlsyearapart Thu 15-Oct-09 20:10:04

My dd2 has tested positive for egg on prick and rast also positive for milk on rast but not on prick.

She also reacts to foods that came up negative on both so she's a mystery!

Dietitian said some reactions are not based on histamines which could be why negative results but positive reactions.

The last bit will probably be contradicted by someone else as I'm prone to misunderstand these things.

umm. that was not very helpful.. I'll leave it to the others I think..

cheeryface Thu 15-Oct-09 20:30:35

so, they cant be very reliable then. the doctor seemed to think buying a dog for him on the basis that it was negative was ok and said that the test could be believed.
im not so sure!

girlsyearapart Thu 15-Oct-09 20:40:02

I wouldn't buy one personally.

Our dd tested 2 or 3 can't remember on her RAST for dog but we didn't get her skin pricked for dog.

We already have a dog and are keeping him as were told that as he's old and she's young she'll grow out if it or he'll die before we could rid house completely of dog iyswim.

Anyway I wouldn't get one if that's what you're deciding on?

There are some breeds (poodles?labradoodles? that are hypoallergenic)

cheeryface Thu 15-Oct-09 21:12:10

yes i was thinking of a poodle but i wouldnt want to cause any harm or upset to ds2

girlsyearapart Thu 15-Oct-09 21:18:34

think they are ok for allergic kids. post in the pets section for some poodle people!

cheeryface Fri 16-Oct-09 12:50:34

lol poodle people smile

tinytalker Fri 16-Oct-09 13:18:24

The non allergenic dogs I've heard of are the Labradoodle and the Miniature Schnauzer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now