Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would I know if ds1 is anaphylatic to nuts if he's never had any?

(9 Posts)
Squidmission Mon 12-Oct-09 20:21:14

I know there's every chance he is likely not to be but he has so many allergies that I worry he may be anaphylatic without me knowing.
I'm especially concerned as we are going on holiday soon and I'm so worried that he may accidently have nuts and have a severe reaction (paranoid mother, yes I am)
His skin prick test was about 4mm.

tatt Mon 12-Oct-09 22:46:05

what allergies does he have and how old is he? His skin prick test doesn't suggest nut allergy and not all of those with nut allergy have anaphylactic reactions. So it does sound like over anxiety.

LilyBolero Mon 12-Oct-09 22:48:24

He can't be allergic to something he's never had, although obviously you can't be certain he's never been exposed to any nuts at all. Does he have an epipen for other allergies?

Squidmission Wed 14-Oct-09 13:21:49

Ds2 (sorry, not ds1) is also allergic to lentils, fish, chickpeas, sesame seeds and egg. His reactions have mainly been itching and swelling lips. Thankfully he's never had an anaphylatic reaction to anything.

Tatt why do you say the skin test doesn't suggest allergy? The dr said it was a 'significant allergy'
All the results were around 4mm.

wb Wed 14-Oct-09 14:03:49

Squidmission - I don't think you can know for sure and in your position I would be wary.

We are kind of in the same position w. ds1 - diagnosed with peanut allergy at 10 mo - he has never knowingly had any peanut but may have had his first reaction a few months ago (he reacted to something and all other tests/challenges have been negative so we are now thinking that the stock cube may have been contaminated by peanut). We don't have an epi-pen as he has never had a serious reaction - still not sure I agree with this but that's another matter...

Anyway, we we went on holiday to France earlier this year we self-catered and I read all the packaging in the same way as I do here. I also made sure I knew how to contact the emergency services and explain 'anaphalaxis' if I needed to. I also took a set of translated sentences explaining his allergy and asking what would be safe for him to have for use in restaurants.

wb Wed 14-Oct-09 14:06:33

Forgot to add - his skin prick test result is 4/5mm and his bloods are low too but I don't for a minute think he is not allergic. He had lower RAST and a negative skin prick for milk as a baby yet would react if a few drops passed his lips (outgrew that allergy thankfully).

Squidmission Wed 14-Oct-09 15:01:19

What was his reaction wb?

LilyBolero Wed 14-Oct-09 16:08:40

Squidmission, if you're going abroad and you are worried I'd strongly suggest you ask the GP for an epi-pen. Not because he necessarily needs it, but because it will give you peace of mind, and if he did have a severe reaction then it buys you some time to work out emergency services procedures etc.

True anaphylaxis is extremely rare though, and the vast majority of people with allergies have a less rapid reaction which gives time to get to an emergency doctor to administer adrenaline.

My mum had an anaphylactic reaction when I was very small, and it was as severe as it's possible to be - she was unconcious in <1 min, and in the 10 mins it took my dad to take her to A&E her heart had stopped. However, they did revive her easily, and their comment was that they had 'never seen' an allergy so severe, so it is very very unusual. Generally allergies will cause discomfort, but will give you time to seek help.

So I would take anti-histamine medication and an epi-pen and enjoy your holiday.

wb Wed 14-Oct-09 17:55:47

Squidmission - to the milk: hives and vomiting. With the unexplained (? peanut) reaction - hives, itchiness, drooling, and 'something' with inside of his mouth/throat (no swelling visible and he was too distressed to tell us, was just clawing at his mouth). So basically a mild reaction but couldn't/wouldn't swallow his piriton until symptoms were subsiding by which time I'd already called an ambulance (he didn't need an epi-pen but if I'd had one I'd have held off calling an ambulance iyswim).

We have been told that we can have a temporary epi-pen for holidays if we want one - I would definitely do that if we are ever brave enough to venture out of Western Europe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now