Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Skin prick tests for peanuts for little DD3 tomorrow, wish me luck, I feel a bit ill at the thought ....

(60 Posts)
BlueBumedFly Sun 11-Oct-09 19:22:38

We have to be safe than sorry I know, SDD2 was born with such a strong peanut allergy we need to know if DD3 has inherited the same allergy.

Wish me luck, am feeling sick at the thought.
sad

whelk Sun 11-Oct-09 19:33:40

Good luck! Will keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us know how she gets on!

girlsyearapart Sun 11-Oct-09 19:34:01

good luck.

Was sick at the thought of taking 1 yr old dd2 for hers but she was fine.

Haven't had the nut one yet though..

misdee Sun 11-Oct-09 19:34:55

thinking of you.

dd4 had the RAST test done which tested + for nut allergy. i was heartbroken.

Crazycatlady Sun 11-Oct-09 19:55:24

How old is your DD3?

I was expecting my DD to have a really horrid time when we had her RAST tests done (for ten different things at once so lots of needle work...) But she's only 9 months and just didn't know to be upset. It wasn't painful for her and she was really interested in the nurse drawing things on her arms and watching her with the little needles that it didn't even occur to her to cry.

She had one wobby moment when she looked over at me and if I had been visibly upset or stressed I think she would have cried but I just smiled at her and she was fine.

I think it can be a bit tougher if they're slightly older... but it's over very quickly so even if she does cry it will soon be forgotten xx

smoggie Sun 11-Oct-09 20:00:45

Good luck - my ds1 gets tested annually and apart from a blip when he was 5 and REALLY objected to it, it always seems to go OK.
I use a bribe (buy a little toy before you go) and I give it to him after he's been really brave!! We've got ours on Friday - for nuts, celery, eggs and kiwi!!
Let us know how it goes.

strawberrycornetto Sun 11-Oct-09 20:01:19

Hello. I know you are extremely experienced in this stuff and that it probably doesn't make it any better. Try not to worry and I hope you get a good outcome.

beggsie Sun 11-Oct-09 21:00:49

Hi BluebumedFly

I wish you luck. You have been kind to me in the past with my ds's allergy, and I really hope that you have a good result tomorrow. I will keep my fingers crossed for you both.

Let us know how you get on.
beggsie

BlueBumedFly Sun 11-Oct-09 21:30:37

Thank you so much everyone, I am almost moved to tears at the turnout. DD is 2.5, and I had to really push for the test as it was screwing with my head. Sometimes I think you can know too much.

I like the toy idea, not time now but will take chocolate. She was skin tested for everthing else at a year and totally flipped then. I hadto hold her down for the blood tests and it lead to her hitting when held back so I am expecting to be bitten and scratched and hit!! I am going to make sure she knows it is the doctor and not me!!

Good luck smoggie, I will come back and post tomorrow to let everyone know.

I am so touched everyone, thank you so much xx

BlueBumedFly Sun 11-Oct-09 21:35:03

Misdee, I am sorry about thr positive result - hope you can get desensitization in thr future.

Strawberry - how's thr trial going??

Girls - we are leading identical paths eh! Poo and allergies!!

Thank you everyone, going to have a large glass of vino as I keep verging on tears. Xx

LuluSkipToMyLou Sun 11-Oct-09 22:17:11

Good luck! I agree with the bribe approach, DS got a football magazine with some trading cards that made him the envy of his class Friday afternoon. And sad at feeling sick, try and get some sleep, I know that feeling.

girlsyearapart Mon 12-Oct-09 06:15:18

yes bbf we are in fact the same person..

The poo is dd1 though and the allergies are dd2. They like to share the load between them!

Good luck again for today. At least you get results on the day unlike RASTs. x

BlueBumedFly Mon 12-Oct-09 13:31:38

OMG!!!

It is next Monday. sad

I am such an idiot, I was so worried and upset that I misread the dates. sad

Now I have to go through it all over again next week and I was truly hideous to live with yesterday.

DD was all out of sorts as a result, would not stop screaming when I left her late at nursery with a different routine than normal and the Ofsted lady was there!! I felt so guilty. It took an hour to try to leave (she has been there almost 2 years and loves it normally). Her key carer was late and her other fave lady on holiday, I tried to drop her into breakfast room instead of the normal room, we were all rushed and stressed and had sat in traffic for ages. And I had booked time off work. Sigh.

What a total idiot I am. Thanks for all your support.... same time next week? blush

beggsie Mon 12-Oct-09 13:51:51

Oh no - poor you! I had just popped on to see if there was any news! Is easy to get in a pickle though over these sodding allergies though, so totally understandable.
Hope you have a quiet afternoon.
beggsie

BlueBumedFly Mon 12-Oct-09 14:12:08

Thank you beggsie, I came back to work, they are too busy to notice me being miserable!!!

Thanks for coming back to check, so very kind x

LuluSkipToMyLou Mon 12-Oct-09 15:58:53

Better a week early than a week late wink!

girlsyearapart Mon 12-Oct-09 17:24:55

You are a dolly daydream as my mum would say.

The similarities between us are scaring me now.

See you next week!

BlueBumedFly Mon 12-Oct-09 19:58:58

Lulu - true!!

Girls, hee hee. Shall we drink some wine perhaps?

whelk Mon 12-Oct-09 20:05:52

Well good luck for next week!

Squidmission Mon 12-Oct-09 20:15:46

Good luck for next week.
ds1 went in for about 6 different things and tested +ve for all of them plus one which I wasn't even aware of! (lupin)
Its a really anxious time. Fingers crossed for you.

BlueBumedFly Mon 12-Oct-09 22:04:50

Thanks whelk

Squid - 6 is really rough, poor you guys. Tatt knows a lot about lupin allergy, you might find her threads on the allergy section, she is very knowledge. I think I remember her saying it is more prevelant in France?

tatt Mon 12-Oct-09 22:52:25

Hi BBF - hope the test goes well. You can always go through desenitisation again if you have to.

Squid they test for lupin because if you have nut allergy you quite often often test positive for it. Lupin is used more in France than here but it does show up here now and then. My child with allergies had a positive lupin test so we do keep a eye out for it - but I saw some research suggesting those with positive tests don't always have clinical reactions, it was low enough to be pretty comforting.

trixymalixy Mon 12-Oct-09 23:19:51

good luck!!!

girlsyearapart Tue 13-Oct-09 07:37:51

Is before 8am too early to open the wine??

BlueBumedFly Tue 13-Oct-09 08:30:06

Girls - absolutely not too early!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now